Tuning Ruby's GC params for faster `sup`

Aravind Narayanan

Jun 12, 2014, 8:08:15 PM6/12/14
to sup-...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone,

I'm sharing this to see if any else does this, and whether or not it makes
sense to include in the defaults.

`sup` was kind of slow for me, and sometimes took a few seconds to open up an
(albeit large) email thread. I ran `perftools.rb` on it to see what was taking
up so much time, and was surprised to find that ~ 60% of wallclock time was
spent in GC.

So, I tuned Ruby's GC to not run so often, resulting in GC now taking only 13%
of wall clock time. Anecdotally, I also noticed that threads loaded much much

Anyone else notice this? Are there any other tricks people use to speed up
`sup`?

Regards,
Aravind