Request for your information to help SunPy

Jack Ireland

Jun 22, 2017, 3:05:58 PM6/22/17
to su...@googlegroups.com
SunPy users!

As you may know, we joined NumFocus a few months back.  Potential NumFocus funders would like to know who is using SunPy and how.

Specifically, please send us:
(1) your organizational affiliation, and
(2) what you are using SunPy for.

Thanks,

Jack

Andre Leon S. Gradvohl

Jun 22, 2017, 3:18:52 PM6/22/17
to su...@googlegroups.com, jacki...@gmail.com
Good Evening Jack,

Here are the information you requested:

(1) I work as assistant professor at University of Campinas
(http://www.unicamp.br), Brazil.

(2) My research group (http://highpids.ft.unicamp.br) uses SunPy to
gather data from instruments. At this moment, the data we gather could
be images (specially magnetograms) and GOES XRS LightCurves. But we
are planning to work with other sort of data. We use these data to
implement Space Weather forecasting techniques based in data mining
and machine learning algorithms.

Best regards.

--
André Leon S. Gradvohl
Assistant Professor @ School of Technology / University of Campinas

Alex James

Jun 26, 2017, 7:06:27 AM6/26/17
to SunPy
Hello!

1) I am a second-year PhD student at University College London Mullard Space Science Laboratory, working in the Solar Physics group.
2) I have been using SunPy since the start of my PhD, although I have worked using Python for longer. My most-used part of SunPy is probably SunPy maps for plotting images of solar observations, although I have also used it for plotting GOES light curves and converting between astronomical coordinate systems (e.g., Carrington Heliographic coordinates to Heliocentric-Cartesian coordinates). In general, I try to use SunPy for as much of my work as possible, since Python is my preferred language, but I do still rely on IDL SolarSoft for a few functions (most notably the preparation of data from SDO/AIA).

Thanks,
Alex

Alexander James
PhD Student - Solar Physics Group
Mullard Space Science Laboratory
Holmbury St. Mary,
Dorking, Surrey, RH5 6NT

Ellis Avallone

Jun 26, 2017, 1:21:37 PM6/26/17
to SunPy
Hi!

1) I'm a third year undergraduate student at the University of Washington currently working with NASA MSFC and the University of Alabama in Huntsville.
2) I'm currently using SunPy to analyze SDO AIA and HMI data

JohnM

Jun 27, 2017, 10:53:17 AM6/27/17
to SunPy
1. George Mason University Physics and Astronomy Department Space Weather Group

2. Visualizing SDO AIA data and Hinode SOT data. Also gradually using it to work with Hinode EIS data.

Jack Ireland

Jun 27, 2017, 3:40:05 PM6/27/17
to su...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, John!

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 10:53 AM, JohnM <jpma...@gmail.com> wrote:
1. George Mason University Physics and Astronomy Department Space Weather Group

2. Visualizing SDO AIA data and Hinode SOT data. Also gradually using it to work with Hinode EIS data.

Steven Christe

Jul 3, 2017, 7:53:09 AM7/3/17
to su...@googlegroups.com
Hi John, FYI, we are working with the LMSAL group to develop tools to analyze IRIS Raster data which will likely become useful for EIS as well. I also hope you check out SunPy cube which was originally written specifically to deal with EIS data (see https://github.com/sunpy/cube)

JohnM

Bin Chen

Nov 8, 2017, 11:51:49 AM11/8/17
to SunPy
I was looking at the threads in the group and found this post from Jack. Think I'd put in my 0.02.

(1) Assistant Professor at New Jersey Institute of Technology
(2) My group is developing a package called SUNCASA (https://github.com/binchensun/suncasa), which is for reducing, analyzing, and visualizing radio imaging spectroscopy data from VLA, EOVSA, and potentially other instruments. The package is based on CASA (python-based package used for radio synthesis imaging), Sunpy, and some others. The functionality is still very limited and the modules/routines are not very well organized. We use Sunpy for various tasks including plotting radio and EUV maps, GOES lightcurves, and so on.

-Bin