high resolution lightcurves

Péter Veres

Apr 21, 2017, 12:55:57 PM4/21/17
to SunPy
Hi,
I'd like to plot RHESSI high resolution lightcurves, say with 0.05 s bins. Can this be done with sunpy?

Thanks,
Peter

Stuart Mumford

Apr 21, 2017, 1:03:04 PM4/21/17
to su...@googlegroups.com

Hi Peter,

Do you have a link to some of the data? I see no reason why this should not be possible.

Stuart

Péter Veres

Apr 21, 2017, 1:09:10 PM4/21/17
to SunPy
Hi Stuart,

Yes, I have e.g.
hsi_20170402_204840_003.fits
from

Would this work?
Thanks,
Peter

Stuart Mumford

Apr 21, 2017, 1:57:28 PM4/21/17
to su...@googlegroups.com

Hi Peter,

This data seems rather more complex than I expected.

SunPy currently only supports the summary data if I am not mistaken. Do you have any information on the data product you linked me to?

Steve might have a better context for discussion than I do.

Stuart

Péter Veres

Apr 21, 2017, 2:04:55 PM4/21/17
to SunPy
Hi Stuart,

Thanks for looking into this. I found these files by just browsing for RHESSI data, after the SunPy summary data didn't have the resolution I was after.

Thanks,
Peter

Richard Schwartz

Apr 21, 2017, 3:14:14 PM4/21/17
to su...@googlegroups.com, Kim Tolbert, ver...@gmail.com
Peter

What you found are RHESSI value-added telemetry files.  Most of what is in there are discrete events recorded with better than 1 msec absolute and 1 usec relative precision.  But there is a lot of software between those files and useful lightcurves.  So please tell me what you want to do scientifically and I may be able to help you by producing time-series in FITS files that you can play with using SunPy. But I hope you know that RHESSI is a rotating modulation collimator so for solar purposes a high time resolution signal may be problematic.

Richard Schwartz

Péter Veres

Apr 21, 2017, 3:28:11 PM4/21/17
to SunPy, kim.t...@nasa.gov, ver...@gmail.com, richard.a...@nasa.gov
Hi Richard,

I'd need a lightcurve from 2017/04/02 21:51:00 up to 21:53:00 the same day. I saw from the low res plots that the data ends somewhere in this interval. That's fine. 8 msec resolution would be great.

Thank you!
Peter

Steven Christe

Apr 24, 2017, 9:22:54 PM4/24/17
to su...@googlegroups.com, kim.t...@nasa.gov, ver...@gmail.com, Richard Schwartz
Hi Peter, could you let us know what you are thinking of using this data for? As Richard mentioned, the spacecraft rotates (this enables imaging) so there is a modulation at the rotation speed of ~4 s rotation rate. A few methods do exist to remove that rotation but they require a bit of work. This is why most of the light curve data (like the summary data are binned in 4s bins).