Specifying GOES satellite in GOES Lightcurve

Dale Gary

Aug 12, 2017, 4:00:04 PM8/12/17
to SunPy
Hi folks,

I asked a student to add a GOES lightcurve to our (EOVSA) daily spectrogram plots, and he implemented it with the sunpy GOESLightCurve, which was great until the past few days when GOES 15 went missing.  I looked a little deeper to find out how to override this to select GOES 13, but it appears that the date-range for selecting the "operational" GOES data is hard-coded.  What is the protocol for requesting a change to permit an optional (keyword) override of the default?

Regards,
Dale Gary

DVD PS

Aug 12, 2017, 4:54:11 PM8/12/17
to sunpy
Hi Dale,

I asked a student to add a GOES lightcurve to our (EOVSA) daily spectrogram plots, and he implemented it with the sunpy GOESLightCurve, which was great until the past few days when GOES 15 went missing.  I looked a little deeper to find out how to override this to select GOES 13, but it appears that the date-range for selecting the "operational" GOES data is hard-coded.

I had actually played with it recently... I was trying to set up there the dates in a "better" way. But I don't find now where I had that :(

 What is the protocol for requesting a change to permit an optional (keyword) override of the default?

Now, in the new version of sunpy to be released soon the workflow changes towards downloading the data and reading the data, instead of having a single function that would do both. Ideally you won't have to override the default dates, but maybe we can implement a way where you can include the satellite number to get the data from.

Regarding to the "protocol" to request/suggest a change is quite simple using github. On our documentation we have the steps on how to do so: http://docs.sunpy.org/en/stable/dev.html
Feel free to ask questions either here or in the matrix channel if that's not too clear, so we can improve it.

David

Gary, Dale E.

Aug 12, 2017, 5:26:30 PM8/12/17
to su...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

Thanks for the quick reply.  The docs you pointed to are very helpful, but are more along the lines of our making the coding change and asking to have it be merged.  Not unreasonable, but certainly more involved than just asking!  We are involved in a huge coding effort of our own, for EOVSA, so I would only hack Sunpy if it rises to a greater level of crisis. :)  An ability to specify GOES 13 would be helpful, though, and I know that the current GOES13 data are indeed available on the sftp repository.

Dale

DVD PS

Aug 12, 2017, 6:25:39 PM8/12/17
to sunpy
On 12 August 2017 at 22:26, Gary, Dale E. <dale....@njit.edu> wrote:
Hi David,

Thanks for the quick reply.  The docs you pointed to are very helpful, but are more along the lines of our making the coding change and asking to have it be merged.  Not unreasonable, but certainly more involved than just asking!  We are involved in a huge coding effort of our own, for EOVSA, so I would only hack Sunpy if it rises to a greater level of crisis. :)  An ability to specify GOES 13 would be helpful, though, and I know that the current GOES13 data are indeed available on the sftp repository.

In such case, then just creating an issue on the github repository or mentioning in the mailing list will make someone to catch it up and do the job :)
I'll try to find out what I had and make a Pull request.

David

Stuart Mumford

Aug 14, 2017, 6:12:56 AM8/14/17
to su...@googlegroups.com

Hi Dale,

Thanks for bringing up this issue, I have just opened a Pull Request that will fix this for 0.8. https://github.com/sunpy/sunpy/pull/2256

0.8 should be out by the end of the week, and we might have an rc2 you can use in the next day or so.

Stuart

Schwartz, Richard A. (GSFC-671.0)[Science Collaborator]

Aug 14, 2017, 8:33:00 AM8/14/17
to su...@googlegroups.com
This issue gives me a few chuckles.
You can have a few chuckles on SSWIDL coding if you look at the entire history of working with GOES XRS data. And you should be talking about the XRS for x-rays as it is not the only solar instrument on the spacecraft providing an open data set.  We should be doing it as well on the IDL side of the coin.

Regards
Richard Schwartz