warnings from map

Jonathan Slavin

Oct 14, 2016, 3:53:23 PM10/14/16
to SunPy
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can explain to me why I get these warnings when calling map.plot():
/export/slavin/python/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sunpy/map/mapbase.py:1585: Warning: This map is not properly oriented. Plot axes may be incorrect
  Warning)
/export/slavin/python/anaconda/lib/python2.7/site-packages/sunpy/map/mapbase.py:1590: Warning: WCSAxes is installed but not being used. Plots may not have the expected behaviour.
  Warning)

I've looked at the mapbase.py and it seems that wcsaxes_compat.is_wcsaxes() returns False for some reason. From wcsaxes_compat.py that seems to indicate that HAVE_WCSAXES is False even though wcsaxes is installed and imports just fine (as indicated by the warning that states the WCSAxes is installed).
As far as I can tell the plots look good, but the warnings make me think that maybe there's missing WCS metadata that should be included in the jpeg2000 images that I'm viewing.  If anyone can provide more insight into this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jon

DVD PS

Oct 15, 2016, 9:41:53 AM10/15/16
to sunpy
Hi Jon,

Could you provide us with an url of one example file? that will help us to be more sure of the problem, and maybe how to solve it.

Thanks,
David

Slavin, Jonathan

Oct 17, 2016, 10:58:17 AM10/17/16
to su...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

It's odd, but now I can't reproduce it.  The images I was viewing were Hinode XRT jpeg2000 images.  I changed a couple things in the script to make it simpler as an example and now I don't get those warnings.  I don't really want to put in the time to track down what is required to get those warnings to come back, so I'm just going to drop it for now.  If it crops up again, I'll try to provide images and an example script.

Thanks,
Jon

Jonathan D. Slavin                 Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
jsl...@cfa.harvard.edu       60 Garden Street, MS 83
phone: (617) 496-7981       Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
cell: (781) 363-0035             USA

DVD PS

Oct 18, 2016, 4:38:04 AM10/18/16
to sunpy
Great Jon! I imagine that's good then :)