GOES SXI fits in SunPy

Iain Hannah

Feb 23, 2018, 11:02:26 AM2/23/18
to SunPy
Hi Folks

After some trial and error I've got a working solution to loading GOES (13-15) SXI fits into SunPy. This is nice SXR images but not well documented and you probably don't want to push too much science out of these files, as more operational data.

The initial problem is that just giving the filename to SunPy.map.Map() doesn't work as the header of the fits file is a bit "non-standard", so you need to do it manually. In addition the xcen and ycen keywords in the header seem to be occasionally related to the offset from sun centre but not always. So probably best to try shifting the map yourself.

The attached code should produce the attached figure.

Cheers
Iain
sxi_gentest_sunpy8.py
sxi.png

Steven Christe

Feb 25, 2018, 4:56:00 PM2/25/18
to su...@googlegroups.com
This is great. Thanks Iain. We can use this code to add support for SXI data directly in SunPy! Thanks for providing it (and commenting it).
> --
> <sxi_gentest_sunpy8.py><sxi.png>

Steven Christe

Mar 4, 2018, 11:46:08 PM3/4/18
to su...@googlegroups.com
Iain, I went ahead and made a first pass at integrating your code into SunPy. Take a look.

https://github.com/sunpy/sunpy/pull/2503

It definitely needs more work but it does work to produce the same image you sent though I did not apply your magical shift.

Iain Hannah

Mar 6, 2018, 8:24:42 AM3/6/18
to SunPy
Thanks Steve, posted some comments about it on the GitHub page.