ASCII Data Session at AGU

Steven Christe

Jun 27, 2015, 6:46:34 PM6/27/15
to su...@googlegroups.com
Should be interesting to keep an eye on this.

If you use ASCII data, please consider submitting an abstract for the AGU Fall meeting to this session under Earth and Space Science Infomatics:

Session 7871: Using and Improving ASCII Data Formats for Scientific Research

Session Description:
ASCII data files are frequently used to report Earth Science observations. Because of its simplicity and flexibility, ASCII data files are suitable for small data sets, such as airborne in situ data.  Various communities have established ASCII data file standards. Therefore, the ASCII data files require adequate metadata and standardized formats.  Due to rapid advances in Earth Science research, there is a growing need for collaboration and broadened data sharing amongst these research communities. The goal is to promote data usability and interoperability to better serve the science community.  This session solicits presentations on existing ASCII data formats to evaluate benefits, shortcomings, seek recommendations to make self-describing files, and to create easily extendable files for both humans and machines.  Interests include, machine readability, metadata requirements for various instruments/measurements, languages other than English, and using a markup language, such as XML, JSON, etc.

Primary Convener:  Keith D Evans, University of Maryland Baltimore County, Joint Center for Earth Systems Technology, Baltimore, MD, United States
Conveners:  Gao Chen, NASA Langley Research Ctr, Hampton, VA, United States and Christopher Webster, National Center for Atmospheric Research, Earth Observing Laboratory, Boulder, CO, United States

You know all the other info.

Thanx,
Keith Evans

Aldcroft, Tom

Jun 28, 2015, 7:46:41 AM6/28/15
to su...@googlegroups.com
In the shameless promotion department, I wonder if the astropy ECSV format [1] is on their radar.  I won't be at this meeting, but I'd certainly be interested to hear about any discussions.

Cheers,