SunPy 0.8 Release

Stuart Mumford

Aug 18, 2017, 6:59:11 AM8/18/17
to su...@googlegroups.com, ast...@python.org, numf...@googlegroups.com

The SunPy project is happy to announce the release of SunPy 0.8 “Expected Eclipse”.

SunPy 0.8 is the next major release of SunPy and contains 1442 commits in over 200 pull requests, closing 163 issues from 35 people, 17 of whom have never contributed before.

This release is a large milestone for the SunPy library. It contains large new features that have been in development for a number of years, and will form the foundation of SunPy for the future. The main additions are 'sunpy.net.Fido' and 'sunpy.timeseries', as well as major upgrades to 'sunpy.coordinates'. Along with this it deprecates some old parts of SunPy that have been rewritten, two submodules 'sunpy.lightcurve' and 'sunpy.wcs' have been superseded by 'sunpy.timeseries' and 'sunpy.coordinates' respectively. For a tour of the new functionality in this release see the “What’s new in 0.8” page: http://docs.sunpy.org/en/stable/whatsnew/0.8.html

SunPy 0.8 can be installed either through conda or pip on Python 2.7, 3.5 and 3.6. For the first time with this release we have built binary wheels, which mean SunPy can be installed from PyPI without the need for a compiler.

To upgrade SunPy using conda run:

    $ conda upgrade sunpy

Using pip run:

    $ pip install --upgrade sunpy

The complete installation instructions can be found here: http://docs.sunpy.org/en/stable/guide/installation/ (at the time of writing this email the windows conda packages are still being built).

In addition to people who have contributed to the code I would like to highlight the work of Nabil Freij who has done a lot of work in the last few months releasing bug fixes for the 0.7 series, and this 0.8 release, as well as a lot of behind the scenes work on SunPy's tooling. I would also like to thank Duygu Keşkek who has redesigned the sunpy.org page and the documentation as part of her GSOC project. Finally, I would like to welcome Monica Bobra and Sabrina Savage to the SunPy Board.

The people who have contributed to the code for this release are:

    Stuart Mumford

    Jack Ireland

    Nabil Freij

    Punyaslok Pattnaik

    Alex Hamilton

    Ankit Kumar *

    David Pérez-Suárez

    Steven Christe

    Rishabh Sharma

    Albert Y. Shih

    Sudarshan Konge

    Daniel Ryan

    Ankit Baruah *

    Brigitta Sipocz

    Prateek Chanda *

    Andrew Leonard

    Sanskar Modi

    Nitin Choudhary *

    Agneet Chatterjee *

    Michael Charlton *

    Rajul Srivastava

    Dhruv Goel *

    Garrison Taylor *

    Serge Zahniy *

    Andrew Inglis

    Ankit

    Joe Letts *

    Shane Maloney *

    Adrian Price-Whelan *

    Dan D'Avella *

    Duygu Keşkek *

    Fionnlagh Mackenzie Dover *

    Kalpesh Krishna *

    Kaustubh Hiware *

    Larry Manley

Where an * indicates their first contribution.

Stuart Mumford,

On behalf of the SunPy Project

Steven Christe

Aug 18, 2017, 7:30:07 AM8/18/17
to su...@googlegroups.com
Huzzah! Great work everyone! Special thanks to Stuart for leading another major sunpy release and making it look easy (though we all know it's not!).

Sent from my iPhone

SAVAGE, SABRINA L. (MSFC-ST13)

Aug 18, 2017, 8:06:07 AM8/18/17
to su...@googlegroups.com
Marvelous, Stuart!  Congrats on a very timely release!

Best,
Sabrina

Danny Ryan

Aug 22, 2017, 11:37:10 AM8/22/17
to su...@googlegroups.com
Ditto! Well done Stuart, Nabil, Duygu and all those who contributed!