OpenAstronomy Committee

Stuart Mumford

Nov 2, 2017, 6:22:31 AM11/2/17
to openas...@googlegroups.com, ast...@python.org, su...@googlegroups.com, yt-u...@lists.spacepope.org, julia...@googlegroups.com, glue-v...@googlegroups.com, polias...@groups.io

Hello all,

OpenAstronomy is a collection of open source astronomy-related projects (http://openastronomy.org/members/), initially founded as an umbrella organisation for Google Summer of Code. Over the last two years more projects have joined and the Python in Astronomy conference series has affiliated itself with OpenAstronomy.

Due to the fact that GSOC provides money to OpenAstronomy (both for mentors working on member projects and directly to OpenAstronomy as an org) there is general agreement between the GSOC admins that some kind of decision making group for this money would be beneficial. In addition to this the idea was floated at pyastro17 that an advisory group for the different pyastro SOCs (along the lines of a similar group for dotastro) would be beneficial to the future of pyastro.

To this end I am recruiting people to serve on the OpenAstronomy committee. The idea of this committee is to be advisory, not to require its members to actually organise or implement the work of OpenAstronomy, and to make decisions regarding allocation of (GSOC) money that is sent to "OpenAstronomy".

If you are interested in serving on this committee, and you are actively involved in one the member projects or in the Python in Astronomy conference series, or you wish to nominate someone who is please email the OpenAstronomy mailing list (openas...@googlegroups.com) by the 16th November. We are particularly interested in participation or nominations of people who may not have served in a leadership role in our community before.

Thanks,
Stuart Mumford