Slack

Steven Christe

Apr 16, 2015, 2:51:24 PM4/16/15
to su...@googlegroups.com
Could someone create a FOXSI team on Slack (I can’t as I’ve already created one for another project)? It’s free and we can get our data out. Lot’s of clients. Could be a great replacement for IRC. Let’s give it a try.

Steven Christe

Apr 16, 2015, 3:41:28 PM4/16/15
to su...@googlegroups.com
I meant SunPy obviously! Sorry.

> On Apr 16, 2015, at 14:51, Steven Christe <steven....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Could someone create a FOXSI team on Slack (I can’t as I’ve already created one for another project)? It’s free and we can get our data out. Lot’s of clients. Could be a great replacement for IRC. Let’s give it a try.

DVD PS

Apr 16, 2015, 5:40:32 PM4/16/15
to sunpy

> Could someone create a FOXSI team on Slack (I can’t as I’ve already created one for another project)? It’s free and we can get our data out. Lot’s of clients. Could be a great replacement for IRC. Let’s give it a try.

Done... but I like IRC quite a lot!  and this will need personal invitations... which I think is going to be too much to handle everyone interested in Sunpy.

Stuart Mumford

Apr 18, 2015, 5:28:33 AM4/18/15
to su...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have used Slack a little, yt started testing it. It looks fancy, but I still prefer IRC, as it is free as in open and easy to use.

I would like to offer people, especially devs, accounts on my IRC bouncer which will give you a permenant presence on the IRC server, and can be configured to notify your phone when you are mentioned in conversation (using Pushover or similar Apple things). It also will replay conversation to your client since the last time you logged out, making it easy to see what has been happening without tawling through the logs.

David and I have been testing this system for quite a while now (I don't think David has the notifications on), and it works very well. I hope offering this will improve uptake of IRC generally and between the devs specifically.

Stuart

On 16/04/15 22:40, DVD PS wrote:

> Could someone create a FOXSI team on Slack (I can’t as I’ve already created one for another project)? It’s free and we can get our data out. Lot’s of clients. Could be a great replacement for IRC. Let’s give it a try.

Done... but I like IRC quite a lot!  and this will need personal invitations... which I think is going to be too much to handle everyone interested in Sunpy.

DVD PS

Apr 18, 2015, 5:41:40 AM4/18/15
to sunpy

David and I have been testing this system for quite a while now (I don't think David has the notifications on), and it works very well. I hope offering this will improve uptake of IRC generally and between the devs specifically.

I love IRC, and the bouncer makes it a lot better! and I would have notifications too if my phone could handle it... ;)

David

Steven Christe

Apr 20, 2015, 1:48:57 PM4/20/15
to su...@googlegroups.com
Stuart, I am with you in spirit. I also prefer IRC and would like to support it but unfortunately clients that support it are not keeping up with modern platforms. We want to make things as easy for users as possible. Web clients do help but most people use mobile nowadays and not having search or automatlc logging and asynchronous usage is a big pain. Supporting our own custom IRC plugins and logs are likely a fun side project for you stuart but will not scale as your time because more constrained. I think we should outsource this task and slack seems like a great (and free as in github) solution. We already have plenty of other things to do. Creating an account (on slack for example) is not that big of a hurdle anymore and developers already have to do that on github. Also, it does not have to be slack just like the best solution (to me) right now.

We could try slack out for sunny-board discussions maybe?