SunPy on wikipedia

Steven C.

Mar 17, 2016, 9:17:19 AM3/17/16
to SunPy
I noticed that SunPy did not have a wikipedia page (though SolarSoft, NumPy, SciPy all do) so I created one.

Danny Ryan

Mar 17, 2016, 9:52:35 AM3/17/16
to su...@googlegroups.com
Great stuff!!

On Mar 17, 2016, at 9:17 AM, Steven C. <steven....@gmail.com> wrote:

I noticed that SunPy did not have a wikipedia page (though SolarSoft, NumPy, SciPy all do) so I created one.

Nabil Freij

Mar 17, 2016, 9:58:33 AM3/17/16
to su...@googlegroups.com
When I visit the site, it does say it meets Wiki's criteria for speedy deletion. It says it has to be contested.

Steven C.

Mar 17, 2016, 10:08:01 AM3/17/16
to SunPy
To do this quickly I mostly copied and pasted our text from sunpy.org and it assumes that that text is copyrighted. We could solve this by placing a copyleft notice on sunpy.org or someone else could edit the wikipedia text so that it is different enough. I would suggest that we go with the latter because it is always better to have more authors on a wikipedia article.

On Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 9:58:33 AM UTC-4, Nabil Freij wrote:
When I visit the site, it does say it meets Wiki's criteria for speedy deletion. It says it has to be contested.

Great stuff!!

I noticed that SunPy did not have a wikipedia page (though SolarSoft, NumPy, SciPy all do) so I created one.

Derek Lamb

Mar 17, 2016, 10:38:49 AM3/17/16
to su...@googlegroups.com
At some point (if it survives speedy deletion), you'll have to deal with the inevitable people who come by and say that this doesn't satisfy Wikipedia's {{notability}} requirements (I'm not saying it does or it doesn't, just that you'll have eager "editors" that will make that claim) because it serves a small niche community and is still in beta, and that you need to cite sources written by people who are not affiliated with the project ( {{one-source}}, {{self-published}} ), and that the article reads like an advertisement {{advert}}.  All of that happened to PDL a few years ago.

Shih, Albert Y. (GSFC-6710)

Mar 17, 2016, 10:39:57 AM3/17/16
to su...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Derek,
     Yup, "at some point" actually just happened.

Albert

Steven C.

Mar 17, 2016, 10:52:38 AM3/17/16
to SunPy, albert...@nasa.gov
Wow, wikipedia has gotten so mean but I think we can fix this. The astropy page is a good example.

Richard Schwartz

Mar 17, 2016, 11:05:19 AM3/17/16
to su...@googlegroups.com
As much as I'd like to see a Wikipedia article on SunPy be more thorough, it was hardly different in scope from the one on Gnu Data Language (GDL) that was last modified on 24 Jan 2016.  So you can't be too far away from their minimally acceptable standard.

Since I would like such an article to be more thorough I'd like to see it address:

SolarSoftWare
IDL's role in SSW
Free interactive compilers as alternatives to IDL
Why Python?
SunPy development
Current scope of SunPy
Current limitations of SunPy
Connecting SunPy to SSW codebase?

Address those issues and you'd have a more complete Wikipedia entry in my opinion.
Richard

Steven C.

Mar 22, 2016, 11:10:25 AM3/22/16
to SunPy, richard.a...@nasa.gov
Looks like the page was deleted :( I think this is part of the plan because they wanted to expunge the "copyrighted" material in the history of the article. We should just recreate the page with the updated text though I can't seem to find where that has gone.

sun...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2018, 4:44:22 AM12/14/18
to SunPy
The page was re-created again but they are trying to delete it again.

Great stuff!!

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/sunpy.

DVD PS

Dec 14, 2018, 3:11:05 PM12/14/18
to sunpy
On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 at 09:44, <sun...@gmail.com> wrote:
The page was re-created again but they are trying to delete it again.

Well, it's not that they are "trying" to delete it. This is how wikipedia works. For new pages it gives a few days where editors will mark it for deletion if there's not real information there. As it is the page doesn't provide much information. If we want to have a wikipedia article we need to put some effort on it now! before it passes the time of deletion... which if I'm not wrong it would happen the 19th of December. There are few things that we can add to bring more information over the table.
 - Some are easy as copying the structure of the astropy wikipedia page,
 - Add which instruments are supported and which ones are planned to be in the future
 - Add a stub category link like in the solarsoft
 - Include it to other categories like astronomy software, etc..
And finally write why you think it should not be deleted on the discussion page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/SunPy

I may be able to put some effort this weekend... but please, if you (the whole community!!) have time do a bit!!
David

Stuart Mumford

Dec 14, 2018, 6:25:34 PM12/14/18
to su...@googlegroups.com
Also from reading the discussion on the deletion proposal page, we need to
provide as many sources talking about SunPy, but not created by us as
possible. I think the list of references on our CSD paper and an arxiv search
would probably be a good starting point.

Stuart

Nicholas Gross

Jan 17, 2019, 1:16:57 AM1/17/19
to SunPy