Code of Conduct - discussion

DVD PS

Sep 30, 2016, 8:39:06 AM9/30/16
to sunpy
Hello SunPy community!!

We've been requested by the company that it's going to fiscally support the project to send them our code of conduct, however we've not decided about it. I've composed a draft taking bits from other CoCs of friend projects (Astropy, Python software foundation and software carpentry).

I would like to have all the comments and feedback possible before the 10th of October. So please, either respond to this thread or comment within the PR of the code of conduct:

https://github.com/sunpy/sunpy-SEP/pull/20

(if you click in files changed you can comment for a particular line).

Thank you all,
David

Stuart Mumford

Oct 1, 2016, 11:48:14 AM10/1/16
to su...@googlegroups.com

Hello all,

To expand on this a little bit.

I think it is very important that communities such as ours are inclusive to everyone who wants to contribute. A major way in which we can make our community more inclusive is having a set of rules that encodes what behaviour we as a community are happy with and what we are not. A code of conduct is this set of rules. For a code of conduct to be successful it is important that it has buy in from the community, this is not something we want to enforce on people, it is something we want people to believe in and help everyone adhere to.

The code of conduct on which this is based David and I amongst many others drafted at Python in Astronomy 2015, which is why it was my choice for the base. I would very much like people to have a look at it and provide feedback, this needs to be something the whole community is on board with.

As David mentioned this is being catalysed by us becoming fiscally sponsored by the NumFocus charity. There will be more on that soon.

Stuart