Systems Sunflower was successfully implemented on

Torsten Funck

Mar 19, 2012, 4:19:03 AM3/19/12
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com
I run Sunflower on several debian mashines with XFCE desktop. Besides a few features I would like to have added, it works fine, fast and stable. On my less powerfull mashines at home the file list grows a bit slowly, if ther are many items in it.

Mladen Mijatov

Mar 19, 2012, 4:22:20 AM3/19/12
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com
Multi-threading on single core machines is not all that great. For a while now am thinking about directory cache implementation. That should speed things up a bit. :)

Wojciech Kluczka

Mar 19, 2012, 12:04:32 PM3/19/12
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com
I guess most time it takes to load icons. Maybe first fill the file names and, when they're filled, load icons? Or simply make icons optional?

Mladen Mijatov

Mar 19, 2012, 12:11:23 PM3/19/12
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com
It's true that icons take time to load but they are cached so loading time is reduced to absolute minimum. At the moment most of the loading time is spent on getting file details. While there are other options in how to load these details it's still fast enough. Directory cache will probably handle this much better.

Currently only number of items is loaded in main thread. The rest is loaded in separate thread. Program actually lists the directory first, decide on how many items we need to preload and split the list in two.

Torsten, how many files in big directory are we talking here about? Are there other program who load directory faster (not counting the CLI ones)?