A few questions/suggestions

stephen.jo...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2012, 6:03:13 AM12/16/12
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com
I running ArchLinux with Gnome 3.6 and Sunflower 0.1a (50)

First of, very nice. I like the way this project seem to be going (especially after the Nautilus/Files 3 .6 update).

1) I would like to specify on start up what dir's to load in each pane.
2) Would it be possible to show the number of files in a dir like Nautilus/Files does. (i.e. in the size column it would say 0 items, 4 items etc)

3) I can't seem to drag and drop. This is specially annoying if I just want to move files to another folder in the same pane. Between panes not so bad as you can use the right click Move/Copy to other...
4) If you click on the Bookmarks icon you can't get the drop down menu to go away unless you actually select a bookmark.

Anyhow thanks for all your hard work.

Mladen Mijatov

Dec 16, 2012, 6:18:19 AM12/16/12
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com, stephen.jo...@gmail.com
Hi there.

Thanks for using Sunflower.

So to go over your list:
1. Sunflower saves list of open tabs and directories in them by default. If you wish to specify specific directories always to be open regardless of saved state you can do so by issuing command line parameters. This is the output. If you don't see this with --help parameter, you are probably missing python-argparse module.

Sunflower $ ./Sunflower.py --help
usage
: Sunflower.py [-h] [-v] [-t] [-l PATH] [-r PATH]

Sunflower file manager

optional arguments
:

-h, --help            show this help message and exit

-v, --version         print version and exit

-t, --no-load-tabs    skip loading saved tabs

-l PATH, --left-tab PATH
                        open
new tab on the left notebook

-r PATH, --right-tab PATH
                        open
new tab on the right notebook

As you can see we have --left-tab and --right-tab specified. All of them can be specified more than once. You could also take a look at session plugin which will allow you to save layouts of open tabs/directories for different usage cases.

2. Doing this would require traversing through all sub-directories. This is a costly operation but idea is good and I think I should implement it. If you don't mind, please file another feature request so I don't accidentally forget about it. :D

3. This use to work. Am guessing latest changes messed something up. Thanks for reporting this misbehavior.

4. Bookmarks "menu" is designed to close when focus to that window is lost. Can you describe behavior with a bit more details. For example what did you do, where did you click and stuff like that. This might be an issue am not aware of.

If you have any other remarks, please let me know.
Have fun!

- Mladen

stephen.jo...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2012, 1:55:36 PM12/17/12
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com, stephen.jo...@gmail.com
1. Sunflower saves list of open tabs and directories in them by default. If you wish to specify specific directories always to be open regardless of saved state you can do so by issuing command line parameters.

    I don't have that package installed but before going down that route. I personnally don't want sunflower to remember lists of open tabs and dirs. I would just like to specify, in say "start options" in preferences, what dirs I want opening and on what pane at start up.
   A command line option is not what I'm really looking for as it means having a different desktop file to the standard desktop file and if I want to change it a manual edit.

2. Doing this would require traversing through all sub-directories. This is a costly operation but idea is good and I think I should implement it. If you don't mind, please file another feature request so I don't accidentally forget about it. :D

       Done

3. This use to work. Am guessing latest changes messed something up. Thanks for reporting this misbehavior.

    No problem

4. Bookmarks "menu" is designed to close when focus to that window is lost. Can you describe behavior with a bit more details. For example what did you do, where did you click and stuff like that. This might be an issue am not aware of.

    a) Left click on the Bookmarks icon (The downward pointing arrow with three dots as it shaft)
    b) Decide that you don't want to click on any of the bookmarks and continue by say double clicking another dir in the pane.
    c) Whilst you will go into that dir the Bookmarks menu stays.
    d) The only way to get rid of the bookmark menu is either select a bookmark or quit sunflower.

Mladen Mijatov

Dec 17, 2012, 2:33:27 PM12/17/12

On Monday, December 17, 2012 7:55:36 PM UTC+1, stephen.jo...@gmail.com wrote:
1. Sunflower saves list of open tabs and directories in them by default. If you wish to specify specific directories always to be open regardless of saved state you can do so by issuing command line parameters.

    I don't have that package installed but before going down that route. I personnally don't want sunflower to remember lists of open tabs and dirs. I would just like to specify, in say "start options" in preferences, what dirs I want opening and on what pane at start up.
   A command line option is not what I'm really looking for as it means having a different desktop file to the standard desktop file and if I want to change it a manual edit.

Ah, okay, I can see how this could help. I'll create that feature.
To get notified, star that issue!

2. Doing this would require traversing through all sub-directories. This is a costly operation but idea is good and I think I should implement it. If you don't mind, please file another feature request so I don't accidentally forget about it. :D

       Done

Did you have in mind for this to automatically work or to  be manually invoked when needed?

3. This use to work. Am guessing latest changes messed something up. Thanks for reporting this misbehavior.

    No problem

Fixed this issue yesterday.

4. Bookmarks "menu" is designed to close when focus to that window is lost. Can you describe behavior with a bit more details. For example what did you do, where did you click and stuff like that. This might be an issue am not aware of.

    a) Left click on the Bookmarks icon (The downward pointing arrow with three dots as it shaft)
    b) Decide that you don't want to click on any of the bookmarks and continue by say double clicking another dir in the pane.
    c) Whilst you will go into that dir the Bookmarks menu stays.
    d) The only way to get rid of the bookmark menu is either select a bookmark or quit sunflower.

Which desktop environment you are using? On my computer it doesn't behave like that.

stephen.jo...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2012, 4:22:42 AM12/19/12
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com, stephen.jo...@gmail.com

2. Doing this would require traversing through all sub-directories. This is a costly operation but idea is good and I think I should implement it. If you don't mind, please file another feature request so I don't accidentally forget about it. :D

       Done

Did you have in mind for this to automatically work or to  be manually invoked when needed?

For me automatically but I could understand some people wouldn't want the additional overhead. Maybe an option?

4. Bookmarks "menu" is designed to close when focus to that window is lost. Can you describe behavior with a bit more details. For example what did you do, where did you click and stuff like that. This might be an issue am not aware of.

    a) Left click on the Bookmarks icon (The downward pointing arrow with three dots as it shaft)
    b) Decide that you don't want to click on any of the bookmarks and continue by say double clicking another dir in the pane.
    c) Whilst you will go into that dir the Bookmarks menu stays.
    d) The only way to get rid of the bookmark menu is either select a bookmark or quit sunflower.

Which desktop environment you are using? On my computer it doesn't behave like that.

I'm using GNOME 3.6 in ArchLinux.

Mladen Mijatov

Dec 23, 2012, 7:37:34 PM12/23/12

On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 10:22:42 AM UTC+1, stephen.jo...@gmail.com wrote:

2. Doing this would require traversing through all sub-directories. This is a costly operation but idea is good and I think I should implement it. If you don't mind, please file another feature request so I don't accidentally forget about it. :D

       Done

Did you have in mind for this to automatically work or to  be manually invoked when needed?

For me automatically but I could understand some people wouldn't want the additional overhead. Maybe an option?

This is a reasonable request. Some people will probably like it, so I'll make it. Not sure when though.

4. Bookmarks "menu" is designed to close when focus to that window is lost. Can you describe behavior with a bit more details. For example what did you do, where did you click and stuff like that. This might be an issue am not aware of.

    a) Left click on the Bookmarks icon (The downward pointing arrow with three dots as it shaft)
    b) Decide that you don't want to click on any of the bookmarks and continue by say double clicking another dir in the pane.
    c) Whilst you will go into that dir the Bookmarks menu stays.
    d) The only way to get rid of the bookmark menu is either select a bookmark or quit sunflower.

Which desktop environment you are using? On my computer it doesn't behave like that.

I'm using GNOME 3.6 in ArchLinux.

I'll have to test for this issue. On my computer it doesn't happen. Do you have default window manager as well?

stephen.jo...@gmail.com

Dec 24, 2012, 6:06:57 AM12/24/12
[...]

I don't have any additional window managers installed, just the default GNOME 3.6 one. I've just installed 0.1a_51 just in case and the issue, for me, is still there.

Mladen Mijatov

Dec 24, 2012, 6:10:41 AM12/24/12
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com, stephen.jo...@gmail.com
Am not using Gnome so I'll have to ask someone to verify this.

Mladen Mijatov

Dec 28, 2012, 7:01:12 AM12/28/12
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com, stephen.jo...@gmail.com
Can you execute this:
python -c "import gio, gtk; print gio.pygio_version, gtk.pygtk_version"

And give me the result?

stephen.jo...@gmail.com

Jan 1, 2013, 9:58:05 AM1/1/13
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com, stephen.jo...@gmail.com
Can you execute this:
python -c "import gio, gtk; print gio.pygio_version, gtk.pygtk_version"

And give me the result?

 I must have something missing on my system as I can't run that command:

 python -c "import gio, gtk; print gio.pygio_version, gtk.pygtk_version"
  File "<string>", line 1

    import gio, gtk; print gio.pygio_version, gtk.pygtk_version
                             ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Packages that I have installed on my system are (I'm not certain what packages are GIO has I can't find a package with that name in ARCH. But searching seems to suggest it may be pygobject)

pygtk 2.24.0-3

pygobject-devel 3.4.2
pygobject2-devel 2.28.6
python2-gobject 3.4.2
python2-gobject2 2.28.6

Wojciech Kluczka

Jan 1, 2013, 10:04:32 AM1/1/13
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com
 python -c "import gio, gtk; print gio.pygio_version, gtk.pygtk_version"
  File "<string>", line 1

    import gio, gtk; print gio.pygio_version, gtk.pygtk_version
                             ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

On Arch Linux it should be

python2 -c "import gio, gtk; print gio.pygio_version, gtk.pygtk_version"

stephen.jo...@gmail.com

Jan 2, 2013, 3:00:35 AM1/2/13
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com

Ah thank you. The results are as follows:

(2, 28, 6) (2, 24, 0)

Mladen Mijatov

Jan 2, 2013, 5:27:28 AM1/2/13
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!

Mladen Mijatov

Jan 7, 2013, 4:01:48 PM1/7/13
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com, stephen.jo...@gmail.com
Well in the end I've solved this issue by reverting changes to good old bookmarks menu. Well, didn't really revert but I am using different widget. Too many problems were reported and a lot of window managers didn't like my idea anyway, so I did some more changes. This will land in 0.1a-52. :D

Thanks for helping out!