Shortcut for rename

Frank Lehmann

May 23, 2016, 7:28:30 PM5/23/16
to Sunflower
Hi guys,

I am a new and happy user of sunflower -- coming from TotalCommander (ages ago) and Krusader -- and just wanted to say thanks for your efforts. Sunflower is not fully polished yet but I love many of your design decisions and ways of doing things. Quick question though: The shortcut for renaming a file is SHIFT+F6, but it seems not to be adjustable in the preferences? Did I just overlook it?

Thanks again for developing this little gem!

Cheers
Frank

Mladen Mijatov

May 24, 2016, 1:26:41 AM5/24/16
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for kind words. Every shortcut should be editable but it's always possible I made a mistake. You can also use F2 if am not mistaken.

Please let me know if I did overlook adding it to editor.

Thanks again and feel free to contact me should you have any questions.

All the best.

Frank Lehmann

May 24, 2016, 4:45:02 AM5/24/16
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com
No worries, Mladen! I went through the shortcuts menu again and -- of course -- found the rename option there. Mea culpa.

What will probably take some time to get accustomed to, is the navigation.
  1. When typing the first letters of a file/directory name, the cursor jumps to the proper item (most of the time) but I cannot unfold it with the right-arrow key, just enter the directory by pressing enter.
  2. While being somewhere deep in the directory structure, pressing the left key only collapses the currently selected directory (if unfolded). A second press of the left-arrow key does not do anything. Either collapsing the next higher-level directory or just selecting the top-most dir on the same level seems more intuitive for me.

Both points are very minor though...

Have a good one!

May 24, 2016, 7:34:57 AM5/24/16
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com
Ah, okay. So first one is kind of tricky. I want to keep ability to move cursor which means I have to avoid handling Left/Right arrows. You can press Escape and then press right arrow, that will keep the cursor on focused item and after quick search is hidden then expand it. Alternative, and more elegant solution in my opinion, would be to add secondary binding for expanding directory (for example Ctrl+E) and that should work. So inside of quick search you can use Ctrl+E and outside resort to right arrow. I know it's tricky but it's either that or I disable moving cursor on quick search.

Second issue is a valid one and I would ask you to make an issue/enhancement request on GitHub so we don't forget about it. If you don't have GitHub account I can do it for you.

Thanks!
--
Mladen Mijatov
Key ID: 4096R/83EFD5A0 2013-08-18

Frank Lehmann

May 25, 2016, 9:39:08 PM5/25/16
to sunflo...@googlegroups.com
I fully agree: with a text box for searching, the left and right keys should be used to navigate inside the text and not directories. I am not sure if I would actually use another key combination to expand the directory, just too much hassle considering that "enter" and "right" get the job done quite quickly.

But what do you think about this idea: an option to choose whether a textbox should be used for searching or not. If selected==True, the current behaviour remains, if selected==False pressing a key jumps to the first dir/file beginning with this file name without showing a box and thus arrow expanding and closing do not interfere with the text input. If time between key strokes is less than ... say 1s ... it is considered as typing a word. If there is break longer than this 1s, searching is restarted.

files
asdf.jpg
asdg.jpg
jklö.jpg
uiop.sh

Quickly pressing "a-s-d" jumps to "asdf.jpg", pressing "a-s-d-----j" first jumps to "asdf.jpg" again but since the threshold was exceeded, the cursor jumps to "jklö.jpg". Does my explanation make any sense? IMHO this is the most comfortable and speedy way to navigate the file tree.

Second issue: Opened a github account and an enhancement request.

Thank you!