cannot break lock due to no matching lock-token

Tom Jones

Apr 13, 2010, 8:00:58 AM4/13/10
to us...@subversion.apache.org

A file was created and locked.  The file was unlocked and the project tagged.

the tagged folder was merged with an empty trunk and then the trunk checked out.  A file in the project was locked, but later removed without being unlocked.  Now the file does not exist in the trunk, but any changes to the trunk cannot commit because "cannot verify lock on path...  ; no matching lock- token available.  If you wish to break the lock, use the 'Check for Modification' dialog" appears and prevents any actions on the trunk (ie, delete all files).  I have tried checking for modifications but none are listed (the file was deleted).

I cannot merge, delete, copy or anything.  The lock that was there is not needed.  How do I remove this lock-token or whatever I need to do?

Tom Jones

Woodward Governor Co.

Turbine Systems (Test Engineering)

***
The information in this e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender by return e-mail delete this e-mail and refrain from any disclosure or action based on the information.
***

Tom Jones

Apr 14, 2010, 8:14:05 AM4/14/10
to us...@subversion.apache.org

Does anyone know how I can clean up a missing lock-token?

Jon Foster

Apr 14, 2010, 8:23:08 AM4/14/10
to Tom Jones, us...@subversion.apache.org
Hi,

You don't say what client you're using, but it doesn't seem to be the
Subversion command-line client. Try asking on the relevant mailing
list for your client.

If you were using the command-line client, you'd use
"svn unlock --force". See these pages for details:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.advanced.locking.html
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.ref.svn.c.unlock.html

Kind regards,

Jon

________________________________

[...]

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Cabot Communications Ltd.

If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone.

Cabot Communications Limited
Verona House, Filwood Road, Bristol BS16 3RY, UK
+44 (0) 1179584232

Co. Registered in England number 02817269

Tom Jones

Apr 14, 2010, 8:47:29 AM4/14/10
to us...@subversion.apache.org
Thanks for replying.
I am using TortoiseSVN, which directs me to this mailing list for discussion. Pardon my amateurishness, could I use a local command line client (while keeping Tortoise resident) to execute this?

Hi,

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.advanced.locking.html
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.ref.svn.c.unlock.html

Kind regards,

________________________________

Tom Jones

Woodward Governor Co.

Turbine Systems (Test Engineering)

Jon Foster

Apr 14, 2010, 9:00:10 AM4/14/10
to Tom Jones, us...@subversion.apache.org
Hi,

> could I use a local command line client (while
> keeping Tortoise resident) to execute this?

Yes.

The command line client can be downloaded from here:
http://subversion.apache.org/packages.html#windows
I use the SlikSVN one, but it really doesn't matter which one you use.

Kind regards,

Jon

Tom Jones

Apr 14, 2010, 10:38:25 AM4/14/10
to us...@subversion.apache.org
Thanks,again.

So, I am running subversion on a Windows2003 server. The URL for the repository is svn://servername/reponame. The file in question is reportedly in a project folder in a trunk (URL svn://servername/reponame/project/trunk/filefolder/filename.xyz) HOWEVER, the file no longer exists because it was deleted at some point, but the repository still thinks there is a lock on this non-existent filename.xyz. The file DOES exist in an earlier tag, but there is no link between that file and the current trunk.

I tried issuing commands using the standard DOS command prompt window. I can get info on the project folders (e.g. svn info svn://servername/reponame/project/trunk/filefolder/) but I cannot do anything with the filename that is associated with this error: "cannot verify lock on path... ; no matching lock- token available. If you wish to break the lock, use the 'Check for Modification' dialog" Checking for modifications does not help because the working folder associated with this lock no longer exists either.

Giulio Troccoli

Apr 14, 2010, 10:42:10 AM4/14/10
to Tom Jones, us...@subversion.apache.org
Please, don't top-post (now see below)

Linedata Services (UK) Ltd
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4-12 Norton Folgate, London, E1 6DB
Registered in England and Wales No 3027851 VAT Reg No 778499447

> So, I am running subversion on a Windows2003 server. The URL
> for the repository is svn://servername/reponame. The file in
> question is reportedly in a project folder in a trunk (URL
> svn://servername/reponame/project/trunk/filefolder/filename.xy
> z) HOWEVER, the file no longer exists because it was deleted
> at some point, but the repository still thinks there is a
> lock on this non-existent filename.xyz. The file DOES exist
> in an earlier tag, but there is no link between that file and
> the current trunk.
>
> I tried issuing commands using the standard DOS command
> prompt window. I can get info on the project folders (e.g.
> svn info svn://servername/reponame/project/trunk/filefolder/)
> but I cannot do anything with the filename that is associated
> with this error: "cannot verify lock on path... ; no
> matching lock- token available. If you wish to break the
> lock, use the 'Check for Modification' dialog" Checking for
> modifications does not help because the working folder
> associated with this lock no longer exists either.

If you have access to the the server have you tried using

svnadmin lslocks

and then

svnadmin rmlocks
?

Tom Jones

Apr 14, 2010, 11:11:36 AM4/14/10
to us...@subversion.apache.org
Thanks.
The lslocks worked to show me three files with locks in the repository, none of which require locks anymore. Here was the session (limited to the file in question).

R:\svn\TestEng>svnadmin lslocks r:\svn\TestEng

UUID Token: opaquelocktoken:f97f8e59-c1d0-ad4f-afa7-18f1c75c8e75
Owner: tjones
Created: 2009-06-15 09:14:22 -0500 (Mon, 15 Jun 2009)
Expires:
Comment (1 line):

R:\svn\TestEng>svnadmin rmlocks r:\svn\TestEng Running_Average_(Shift).vi
Path 'Running_Average_(Shift).vi' isn't locked.

Is my syntax wrong? Why does it report in lslocks that it is locked, but when I try to remove the lock it reports that it isn't locked?

Giulio Troccoli

Apr 14, 2010, 11:19:32 AM4/14/10
to Tom Jones, us...@subversion.apache.org

Linedata Services (UK) Ltd
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4-12 Norton Folgate, London, E1 6DB
Registered in England and Wales No 3027851 VAT Reg No 778499447

> The lslocks worked to show me three files with locks in the
> repository, none of which require locks anymore. Here was
> the session (limited to the file in question).
>
> R:\svn\TestEng>svnadmin lslocks r:\svn\TestEng

> UUID Token: opaquelocktoken:f97f8e59-c1d0-ad4f-afa7-18f1c75c8e75
> Owner: tjones
> Created: 2009-06-15 09:14:22 -0500 (Mon, 15 Jun 2009)
> Expires:
> Comment (1 line):
>
> R:\svn\TestEng>svnadmin rmlocks r:\svn\TestEng
> Running_Average_(Shift).vi Path 'Running_Average_(Shift).vi'
> isn't locked.
>
> Is my syntax wrong? Why does it report in lslocks that it is
> locked, but when I try to remove the lock it reports that it
> isn't locked?

ln1sub01 svn-xplorer> svnadmin help rmlocks
rmlocks: usage: svnadmin rmlocks REPOS_PATH LOCKED_PATH...

Unconditionally remove lock from each LOCKED_PATH.

So I think you should do something like

svnadmin rmlocks r:\svn\TestEng /Jet Pipe Servo Stands/trunk/Testsys/SOFTWARE/UTILS/Running_Average_(Shift).vi

i.e. use the full path of the file locked

Tom Jones

Apr 14, 2010, 11:56:47 AM4/14/10
to us...@subversion.apache.org
R:\svn\TestEng>svnadmin rmlocks r:\svn\TestEng /Jet Pipe Servo Stands/trunk/Test
sys/SOFTWARE/UTILS/Running_Average_(Shift).vi
Path '/Jet' isn't locked.
Path 'Pipe' isn't locked.
Path 'Servo' isn't locked.
Path 'Stands/trunk/Testsys/SOFTWARE/UTILS/Running_Average_(Shift).vi' isn't lock
ed.

R:\svn\TestEng>svnadmin rmlocks r:\svn\TestEng /Jet%Pipe%Servo%Stands/trunk/Test
sys/SOFTWARE/UTILS/Running_Average_(Shift).vi
Path '/Jet%Pipe%Servo%Stands/trunk/Testsys/SOFTWARE/UTILS/Running_Average_(Shift
).vi' isn't locked.

Are the spaces a problem? Should I use something other than % for a wild card?

Bob Archer

Apr 14, 2010, 12:02:24 PM4/14/10
to Tom Jones, us...@subversion.apache.org
> R:\svn\TestEng>svnadmin rmlocks r:\svn\TestEng /Jet Pipe Servo
> Stands/trunk/Test
> sys/SOFTWARE/UTILS/Running_Average_(Shift).vi
> Path '/Jet' isn't locked.
> Path 'Pipe' isn't locked.
> Path 'Servo' isn't locked.
> Path 'Stands/trunk/Testsys/SOFTWARE/UTILS/Running_Average_(Shift).vi'
> isn't lock
> ed.
>
> R:\svn\TestEng>svnadmin rmlocks r:\svn\TestEng
> /Jet%Pipe%Servo%Stands/trunk/Test
> sys/SOFTWARE/UTILS/Running_Average_(Shift).vi
> Path
> '/Jet%Pipe%Servo%Stands/trunk/Testsys/SOFTWARE/UTILS/Running_Average_(Shif
> ).vi' isn't locked.
>
> Are the spaces a problem? Should I use something other than % for a wild
> card?

Since you are on windows you might want to just quote the paths:

R:\svn\TestEng>svnadmin rmlocks r:\svn\TestEng "/Jet Pipe Servo Stands/trunk/Test/sys/SOFTWARE/UTILS/Running_Average_(Shift).vi"

BOb

Tom Jones

Apr 14, 2010, 12:15:06 PM4/14/10
to us...@subversion.apache.org
Thanks Bob and G: I keep having high hopes. I really appreciate everyone's patience. Still no luck:

Command

R:\svn\TestEng>svnadmin rmlocks r:\svn\TestEng "/Jet Pipe Servo Stands/trunk/Test/sys/SOFTWARE/UTILS/Running_Average_(Shift).vi"

Response
Path '/Jet Pipe Servo Stands/trunk/Test/sys/SOFTWARE/UTILS/Running_Average_(Shift).vi' isn't locked.

Bob Archer

Apr 14, 2010, 12:28:14 PM4/14/10
to Tom Jones, us...@subversion.apache.org
> Thanks Bob and G: I keep having high hopes. I really appreciate
> everyone's patience. Still no luck:
>
> Command
> R:\svn\TestEng>svnadmin rmlocks r:\svn\TestEng "/Jet Pipe Servo
> Stands/trunk/Test/sys/SOFTWARE/UTILS/Running_Average_(Shift).vi"
>
> Response
> Path '/Jet Pipe Servo
> Stands/trunk/Test/sys/SOFTWARE/UTILS/Running_Average_(Shift).vi' isn't
> locked.

Sorry... it worked for me:

D:\SubversionRepos>svnadmin lslocks test
UUID Token: opaquelocktoken:94f58c3d-b378-1844-9491-e1680e22e232
Owner: rarch
Created: 2010-04-14 12:26:45 -0400 (Wed, 14 Apr 2010)
Expires:
Comment (1 line):

D:\SubversionRepos>svnadmin rmlocks test "/MobiPerl/New folder/New Text Document
.txt"
Removed lock on '/MobiPerl/New folder/New Text Document.txt'.

D:\SubversionRepos>
Not sure what else to suggest.

BOb

Giulio Troccoli

Apr 15, 2010, 3:38:10 AM4/15/10
to Tom Jones, us...@subversion.apache.org

Linedata Services (UK) Ltd
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4-12 Norton Folgate, London, E1 6DB
Registered in England and Wales No 3027851 VAT Reg No 778499447

> Thanks Bob and G: I keep having high hopes. I really
> appreciate everyone's patience. Still no luck:
>
> Command
> R:\svn\TestEng>svnadmin rmlocks r:\svn\TestEng "/Jet Pipe
> Servo Stands/trunk/Test/sys/SOFTWARE/UTILS/Running_Average_(Shift).vi"
>
> Response
> Path '/Jet Pipe Servo
> Stands/trunk/Test/sys/SOFTWARE/UTILS/Running_Average_(Shift).v
> i' isn't locked.

What version of SVN are you using?

Tom Jones

Apr 15, 2010, 7:25:35 AM4/15/10
to us...@subversion.apache.org

What version of SVN are you using?

TortoiseSVN 1.6.2, Build 16344 - 32 Bit , 2009/05/09 13:46:29
Subversion 1.6.2,
apr 1.3.3
apr-utils 1.3.4
neon 0.28.4
OpenSSL 0.9.8k 25 Mar 2009
zlib 1.2.3

Tom Jones

Apr 22, 2010, 2:43:58 PM4/22/10
to us...@subversion.apache.org
I still have no way to break this lock on a file that no longer exists. Any other insights to this thread?

***