Do I need to install any additional software (drivers) to support Suunto Cobra and Vyper ?

faltr...@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2016, 6:49:04 PM12/27/16
to Subsurface Divelog
On my old PC (Windows XP), I used Suunto Dive Manager (DM3) software to upload my dive information from my Suunto Cobra and Vyper dive computer.

Suunto's DM5 seems to be a disaster. In addition, it appears that the dive logs in DM3 cannot be easily imported into DM5.
After doing some investigating, it seems that Subsurface is the way to go on my new PC !
After reading the documentation, Subsurface can easily import the DM3 dive logs.

I have a new desktop computer with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
I have not installed any version of Suunto Dive Manager software.

Are there any known issues with installing the Subsurface software with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit ?
Besides the Subsurface software, do I need to install any additional software (drivers) to support (download from) my Suunto Cobra and Vyper ?

Dirk Hohndel

Dec 28, 2016, 1:16:54 AM12/28/16
to subsurfac...@googlegroups.com
While most of our users are one Windows, oddly almost none of the developers are.
I'm reasonably certain that you'll need drivers for the download cable. IIRC, Windows will offer to download those when the cable gets plugged in, but if not, usually for the Suunto cables that should mean FTDI drivers: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

/D

Alan M

Jan 5, 2017, 6:09:58 PM1/5/17
to Subsurface Divelog
I was in a similar situation, only with a Suunto Zoop.

I didn't have to go looking for drivers for my Zoop dongle, it just seemed to work. I don't have the Suunto Software installed on my newest laptop either so I'm not reusing something their installer put in behind the scenes either*.

I'd plug it in and see if Windows picks up the right drivers before downloading anything special.

*It's showing up in the Device Manager as "Suunto USB Serial Port (COM4)" and "Suunto Sports Instrument"