Documentation

Adam Miller

Dec 27, 2013, 12:50:58 PM12/27/13
to st...@googlegroups.com
I tried to go to the original ScrewTurn website, http://www.screwturn.eu/, and Chrome gave me a 'redirect loop' error.  That is the best source for documentation that I had found.  Has anyone started trying to recompile the documentation?

michael paulukonis

Dec 29, 2013, 12:17:26 PM12/29/13
to st...@googlegroups.com
Ugh. Ganking the screwturn.eu website was on my TODO list, but never got done.

-Michael Paulukonis
http://www.xradiograph.com
Interference Patterns (a blog)
@XraysMonaLisa
http://michaelpaulukonis.com

Sent from somewhere in the Cloud
(hearthrug, by the fender)

On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Adam Miller <gaivspe...@gmail.com> wrote:
I tried to go to the original ScrewTurn website, http://www.screwturn.eu/, and Chrome gave me a 'redirect loop' error.  That is the best source for documentation that I had found.  Has anyone started trying to recompile the documentation?

Adam Miller

Dec 30, 2013, 11:18:45 AM12/30/13
to st...@googlegroups.com
It looks like (at least parts of) screwturn.eu are captured on the wayback machine.  Do we have an organized place to put documentation?  (A wiki would work great for this, as we all know; does CodePlex have that capability?)

If we have a place to put this, I would be happy to help curate information for it.

Adam Miller

michael paulukonis

Jan 2, 2014, 11:48:11 AM1/2/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
We still don't have a project-dedicated STW instance up and running.

A server was made available, but only has command-line access, and I've never installed an ASP.NET website via the command-line, so I haven't tackled it.

If we had that, and working build/release instructions, I think this project would start moving forward, instead of flopping around like a soon-to-dead fish.

I'm using STW at work, think it serves its purpose, but would like to enhance it.
I'd hate to see it go.
Do you think we can do this, or should we give up?

Adam Miller

Jan 2, 2014, 11:55:23 AM1/2/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
What about putting at least some of it up on the CodePlex site, until we have that STW instance up and running?  I read through the CodePlex docs a little, and it seems like it's based on a wiki infrastructure, and it's possible to create new pages in a project.

I'm in the same situation as you, Michael; I have a vested interest in having an open publicly-viewable resource site for STW, at the least.  I think enough enhancement requests have been submitted here that there are plenty of directions to move forward in.

Adam

michael paulukonis

Jan 2, 2014, 1:56:50 PM1/2/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
It's fine to put up docs on CodePlex -- it's just that STW and CodePlex have different markups.
I don't know how much a time investment is required to convert the docs, vs finding a hosting sote.

-Michael Paulukonis
http://www.xradiograph.com
Interference Patterns (a blog)
@XraysMonaLisa
http://michaelpaulukonis.com

Sent from somewhere in the Cloud
(hearthrug, by the fender)

--
Message has been deleted

Alexander Serebryakov

May 13, 2014, 1:46:12 PM5/13/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
I have the copy of  screwturn.eu. I can provide you with it. I want also to inform you that I am doing my best to develop the project.  Taken  ScrewTurnWik of version 4  as a basis, I made some changes and, to   avoid confusion, renamed as SunHorizonWiki. Here is the link http://sunhorizon.info/ . If you are interested in developing the project,  I will be glad to discuss it with you.

michael paulukonis

May 14, 2014, 1:43:56 PM5/14/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
I'm certainly interested -- work here has stalled.

What are some of the changes you've made?

Would you be interested in making a default namespace (other than the non-namespace default, that's represented in the code by "null") ?

-Michael Paulukonis
http://www.xradiograph.com
Interference Patterns (a blog)
@XraysMonaLisa
http://michaelpaulukonis.com

Sent from somewhere in the Cloud
(hearthrug, by the fender)

Alexander Serebryakov

May 15, 2014, 1:53:37 PM5/15/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
The list of changes:
-Fixed some mistakes in engine
- WYSIWYG  and Markup editors were replaced by CKEditor 3.6.6.1,changes were made accordingly to a new editor ( the final format wasn't changed). The work is under way.
- IFormatterProviderV4 was enlarged, what gives the opportunity along with CKEditor to create plugins and visual editors as well as context menu and buttons on the editing panel. http://sunhorizon.info/Dev.WritingFormatter  . Here is the example of implementation: http://sunhorizon.info/Customize.Rating-Manager-Plugin
- The web-service was added for visual editor functioning.
- The markup of pictures was changed ( with the support of the old one) http://sunhorizon.info/Help.WikiMarkup-Pictures
- The PrettyPhoto  project is used to show images. http://www.no-margin-for-errors.com
-The markup was added for image galleries
- There was the dinamic formation of images preview , if they are not loaded
- And other small changes

Here is the source code: https://bitbucket.org/AlexanderSV/sunhorizon
There are several sites powered by this engine, including http://games.sunhorizon.info/

I didn't quite catch your last question:  (Would you be interested in making a default namespace (other than the non-namespace default, that's represented in the code by "null"))

Adam Miller

May 16, 2014, 12:17:23 PM5/16/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
I would also be interested in helping out with documentation; our previous conversation on that kind of stalled.

Do we have a good place for bringing over the documentation from the original website?

michael paulukonis

May 16, 2014, 3:23:22 PM5/16/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
We do not have an ASP.NET host at this point.

I suggest either we find one, see about working with SunHorizon wiki, or close up shop.

Ouch.

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 12:17 PM, Adam Miller <gaivspe...@gmail.com> wrote:
I would also be interested in helping out with documentation; our previous conversation on that kind of stalled.

Do we have a good place for bringing over the documentation from the original website?

Alexander Serebryakov

May 17, 2014, 9:38:13 AM5/17/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
If there are persons wishing  to maintain the records on ScrerwTurnWiki, then I can create on http://sunhorizon.info site the section on  ScrerwTurnWiki. Although I will fail to maintain it because of lack of time. If you have any proposals, I'm ready to listen it.

michael paulukonis

May 30, 2014, 11:28:18 AM5/30/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
Alexander -- I'd appreciate that, a space to place STW 3.x and 4.x documentation (if any 4.x exists).

I've found some more 3.x help files at http://wiki.raininggraceservices.com/Help.ashx

Everybody else -- I really, _really_ would like to keep this project alive, but I'm in some time-constraints right now. First, my wife just had a baby (our third, for those of you keeping score at home), and I'm starting a new job in 10 days.

I also struggled with a few things as I worked on this earlier - primarily, the build-process isn't documented well. I put some notes together, but I think they are incomplete.

And we're really missing an installation-ready version of the project.
As well as what used to be referred to as the "site-only package" used in upgrades.

Can anybody document the following:

1) 3.x build process
2) 4.x build process
3) generation of installation package
4) generation of "site-only package"

And finally -- Alexander, I may be able to host STW on an ASP.NET site later this summer, but I certainly appreciate your help. I would like to continue discussions on how we can all work together on keeping the core of STW alive.

One last note -- the Sueetie project has shut down, but they added a number of enhancements to STW that are worth looking into (particular page change approval process): http://sueetie.com/documentation/screwturn-enhancements

-Michael Paulukonis
http://www.xradiograph.com
Interference Patterns (a blog)
@XraysMonaLisa
http://michaelpaulukonis.com

Sent from somewhere in the Cloud
(hearthrug, by the fender)

Adam Miller

Jun 19, 2014, 11:48:15 AM6/19/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
Sorry about my silence; I've had a bunch of things coming up, too.
Do we currently have a place to put documentation?  I do think that is something I can contribute on.

I want to try to get myself familiar with the build process, but that is something I have not gotten into yet.

Adam

michael paulukonis

Jun 20, 2014, 8:31:33 AM6/20/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
Currently we only have the (non-STW-format) wiki pages in google-docs.

I'm looking into getting a personal account on discountasp.net and get some sub-domains dedicated to STW.

Any other thoughts on hosts?

-Michael Paulukonis
http://www.xradiograph.com
Interference Patterns (a blog)
@XraysMonaLisa
http://michaelpaulukonis.com

Sent from somewhere in the Cloud
(hearthrug, by the fender)

Adam Miller

Jun 20, 2014, 11:13:45 AM6/20/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
I don't remember if we looked into this, but have we looked into what CodePlex can offer?  I know it's Microsoft's open source initiative, but I don't know what they offer.  Is it possible we might be able to have a STW instance running there?

Adam

michael paulukonis

Jun 20, 2014, 11:54:27 AM6/20/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know (from a quick check just now), CodePlex hosts code and documentation, but not running instances.

-Michael Paulukonis
http://www.xradiograph.com
Interference Patterns (a blog)
@XraysMonaLisa
http://michaelpaulukonis.com

Sent from somewhere in the Cloud
(hearthrug, by the fender)

Alexander Serebryakov

Jul 17, 2014, 2:18:16 PM7/17/14
to st...@googlegroups.com

1. I am ready to  open a section  devoted to STW v3 on  SHW web site. If anyone desires to moderate it - please contact me on in...@sunhorizon.info.

2. I will examine the changes  of  Sueetie project and try to integrate them into SHW.
3. SHW was oriented as the extension of STW v4. Since I used STW v4 and noone developed it I got to maintain the project by myself. There were a lot of alterations and fixed bugs during the year.  Now new visual editor is about to be integrated.  The amount of alterations is huge enough to be carried to  STW v4. May be the concentrating on the only one project is more reasonable?

Alexander Serebryakov

michael paulukonis

Jul 17, 2014, 3:33:44 PM7/17/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
I agree that concentrating on one project makes the most sense.

While I am not a fan of the name "ScrewturnWiki" it does at least have a little recognition and history in the community, and for that reason I lean towards continuing its use.

OTOH, if we (whoever that is, these days. Me, Alexander Serebryakov and Adam Miller?) decide to go with SunHorizonWiki, I think we should prominently trumpet that it's a continuation of STW.

-Michael Paulukonis
http://www.xradiograph.com
Interference Patterns (a blog)
@XraysMonaLisa
http://michaelpaulukonis.com

Sent from somewhere in the Cloud
(hearthrug, by the fender)

Alexander Serebryakov

Jul 18, 2014, 2:34:38 PM7/18/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
May be you are right there. But the key challenge is to recruit team to carry on with the project.     Rebranding can be made later, when we will have got the appropriate domen.

michael paulukonis

Jul 21, 2014, 11:18:04 AM7/21/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
I agree, we need to (continue?) recruiting. Without any progress to show, it doesn't look like that will happen.

Can you open up an STW subdomain? something like STW3.sunhorizon.info and STW4.sunhorizon.info

I think we should have online examples of both stable version, and also one for the "latest" version?

BTW, I got a zip of wiki help files from Dario Solera. Haven't imported them yet; the crazy local pages provider doesn't just read the local file system; things have to be set up in files here and there. AAAARGH.

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 2:34 PM, Alexander Serebryakov <serebryako...@gmail.com> wrote:
May be you are right there. But the key challenge is to recruit team to carry on with the project.     Rebranding can be made later, when we will have got the appropriate domen.

michael paulukonis

Jul 21, 2014, 2:06:12 PM7/21/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
Hrm It may just be that the PagesProvider is using a cached list, and there's no external method of regenerating the cache.

Two options (and this is theorizing, based on looking at the code in Bitbucket, not actually running it)
1) restart the application
2) add and expose a reset-page-cache option

Why am I interested in the PagesProvider? Well, other than actually having the help files in pages, and a client's pages in pages, I'm suspicious of the need for a SQL server (of whatever stripe) just to serve up semi-static content. It's overkill. Or it should be, if the pages-provider is robust enough.

anyway.

-Michael Paulukonis
http://www.xradiograph.com
Interference Patterns (a blog)
@XraysMonaLisa
http://michaelpaulukonis.com

Sent from somewhere in the Cloud
(hearthrug, by the fender)

Alexander Serebryakov

Aug 8, 2014, 11:57:17 AM8/8/14
to st...@googlegroups.com

1. I think, that is possible to create plugins to store all data on wiki in file systems. STW3 can be forwarded as the basis which allows users to completely  give up SQL (SQL CE).

2. I'll make up STW3.sunhorizon.info and  STW4.sunhorizon.info, but needs a man who will fiil them up and maintain up-to-date

michael paulukonis

Aug 8, 2014, 2:52:25 PM8/8/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
Hey, I've been quiet lately as I was on vacation, and playing catch-up this week (and my wife's ill, and the baby no longer wants to sleep, I've got a hangnail and no-one has given me a pony, waaaah!).

Recently, we've gotten this off the ground: http://www.screwturnwiki.com/ and https://github.com/ScrewTurnWiki/

I've also been the recipient of a cache of original help and docs files from Dario Solera (although I may have posted about that, as I uploaded them to codeplex).

There are very few of us developers, and we'd fragmented into at least three camps!

At least something is happening....

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 11:57 AM, Alexander Serebryakov <serebryako...@gmail.com> wrote:

1. I think, that is possible to create plugins to store all data on wiki in file systems. STW3 can be forwarded as the basis which allows users to completely  give up SQL (SQL CE).

2. I'll make up STW3.sunhorizon.info and  STW4.sunhorizon.info, but needs a man who will fiil them up and maintain up-to-date

Alexander Serebryakov

Aug 17, 2014, 1:33:36 PM8/17/14
to st...@googlegroups.com

STW is out of date. A lot was already made in SunHorizonWiki: fixed numerous bugs and added new features. Meanwhile,  a few sites are already powered by SHW, and engine has not backward compatibility since  new elements are involved in markup. I think, that we need to abandon the development of  STW 3 and move onward.

michael paulukonis

Aug 18, 2014, 9:54:19 AM8/18/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
>engine has not backward compatibility since  new elements are involved in markup

There are a lot of sites running STW v3 (I'm doing some consulting work for a non-profit running one, at the moment).

Is there a automated or documented upgrade path from STW v3 to SHW?

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 1:33 PM, Alexander Serebryakov <serebryako...@gmail.com> wrote:

STW is out of date. A lot was already made in SunHorizonWiki: fixed numerous bugs and added new features. Meanwhile,  a few sites are already powered by SHW, and engine has not backward compatibility since  new elements are involved in markup. I think, that we need to abandon the development of  STW 3 and move onward.

Alexander Serebryakov

Aug 18, 2014, 12:52:35 PM8/18/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
The data migration is described here: DataMigration
I reccomend to primarily migrate on test wiki and check the correctness of work. If any notes arise - just let me know.

Adam Miller

Aug 18, 2014, 5:49:13 PM8/18/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for my silence; work blows up at the most inconvenient times.

Do we have a place set up for documentation?  I wasn't sure from scanning the conversation.

Alexander Serebryakov

Sep 12, 2014, 12:55:13 PM9/12/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
I was on vacation. Nothing new? The web site http://www.screwturnwiki.com/ doesn't work (