Move from CodePlex?

michael paulukonis

Jul 21, 2014, 5:02:47 PM7/21/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
STW was originally hosted on BitBucket.
This gorup moved to code to CodePlex (for reasons unknown to me).
There are still occasional forks on BitBucket.

Would it make sense to move over to BitBucket, or to GitHub?

I use github for most of my own work.
The MS-supported OS project TypeScript just moved from CodePlex to GitHub.
Here are some of the reasons: https://typescript.codeplex.com/workitem/2420

-Michael Paulukonis
http://www.xradiograph.com
Interference Patterns (a blog)
@XraysMonaLisa
http://michaelpaulukonis.com

Sent from somewhere in the Cloud
(hearthrug, by the fender)

michael paulukonis

Jul 21, 2014, 5:04:14 PM7/21/14
to st...@googlegroups.com

dodexahedron

Jul 22, 2014, 10:00:17 PM7/22/14
to st...@googlegroups.com

I don't really see a reason to move, unless you've got a specific reason.
I just forked the project myself, on CodePlex, because there hadn't been any activity at all, and I wanted to at least bring it up to date and take care of some long-standing issues I've seen.
There aren't many .NET wikis out there, and I'd hate to see this one disappear.

I think a move is more likely to put a nail in the project's coffin that doesn't need to be there and just add more confusion for new people trying to use it for the first time.
Let's just open up the discussion area on codeplex so everything can be in one place again.

michael paulukonis

Jul 22, 2014, 10:36:25 PM7/22/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
It's just that CodePlex is... CodePlex. It's ugly and not user-friendly, and has such a minimal eyeball share compared to GitHub.

Anyway.

I started up a couple of threads in the CodePle discussion area, if that's the way we want to go.

Including:

I contacted original STW dev Dario Solera last week and got a zip-file ofthe Customer, Dev and Help folders - local-file-provider format.

I've uploaded them @ https://stw.codeplex.com/downloads/get/881828

-Michael Paulukonis
http://www.xradiograph.com
Interference Patterns (a blog)
@XraysMonaLisa
http://michaelpaulukonis.com

Sent from somewhere in the Cloud
(hearthrug, by the fender)

dodexahedron

Jul 22, 2014, 11:21:12 PM7/22/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
GitHub definitely does have some features that CodePlex does not.  However, CodePlex is more of a project site than github is.  GitHub is more of a code-first site, while CodePlex has a more complete offering for the project as a whole.  Your typical GitHub page looks pretty awful, while a CodePlex site feels more...I don't even know how to put it...professional?

But, it is hard to ignore the code-centric features of GitHub.

I'm certainly not saying it shouldn't be moved.  I'm just suggesting it may not be the healthiest thing for the project at this point in time, without a full-fledged plan to keep a central portal for access to the project as a whole (compiled builds, plugin repository, documentation, etc).

So, how about this alternate solution:
Use GitHub purely as the code repository, and then set up a real website for the project.
I own the screwturnwiki.com domain name and also own a small datacenter it can be hosted in, gratis.
And, in true eat-your-own-dogfood form, the site should probably have a screwturn wiki on it, for documentation.

michael paulukonis

Jul 22, 2014, 11:58:49 PM7/22/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
funny you should mention that.... but, yes.

Big question: v3 or v4?

I'm not convinced that V4 is the "true path" forward.

dodexahedron

Jul 23, 2014, 12:47:45 AM7/23/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
I tend to agree that v4 is probably not the best starting point.  Heck, I still run a few v3 STWs, which was actually my motivation for working on the thing - I wanted it to work better on my Windows 2012 boxes.
I've already done the work to convert v3 to .Net 4.5 and began turning the SQL storage providers into entity framework, plus adding some logging here and there, for exceptions.

I mean it certainly needs modernization (probably a move to MVC, etc), eventually, but a major architectural shift this early in the game is probably too big a step and will probably end up poorly (like so many other over-ambitious projects).
Baby steps.

So I say stick with v3, tackle the most pressing issues first, and iterate our way toward a better and better solution.

dodexahedron

Jul 23, 2014, 1:07:12 AM7/23/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
https://github.com/ScrewTurnWiki/wiki

You're an owner.
I checked in the code.
Let's make this happen.

michael paulukonis

Jul 23, 2014, 8:33:49 AM7/23/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
Have you seen the modifications the Sueetie project did to their "branch" of STW3?

http://sueetie.com/documentation/screwturn-enhancements

-Michael Paulukonis
http://www.xradiograph.com
Interference Patterns (a blog)
@XraysMonaLisa
http://michaelpaulukonis.com

Sent from somewhere in the Cloud
(hearthrug, by the fender)

michael paulukonis

Jul 23, 2014, 8:43:53 AM7/23/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
Did you move that from the 3.0.5.600 version in codeplex, or from the 3.0.5.629 version in BitBucket?

I still haven't gotten the STW v3 project updated with the latest code (just found it was outdated on Monday).

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 1:07 AM, dodexahedron <brandon....@gmail.com> wrote:

dodexahedron

Jul 23, 2014, 10:50:50 AM7/23/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
I like some of the work done on Sueetie, but am not sold on all of it.  May be worth merging parts as we go along, but I don't know that I'd start from that as a base.
I wasn't aware of the latest bitbucket code for STW, but I'll clone from that instead and re-create the repo on github.

What are your thoughts on it?

dodexahedron

Jul 23, 2014, 10:59:55 AM7/23/14
to st...@googlegroups.com

michael paulukonis

Jul 23, 2014, 12:42:14 PM7/23/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
We can't use the Sueetie code as base, because it's got a lot of hooks for the Sueetie application.
However, they (he) simplified [reduced the space taken by] the internationalization components, added draft approvals to 3x (From 4x) and put in ASP.NET role-based authentication, which is not a bad thing, but should be optional. And some other stuff.

It dropped the local page provider, so the draft approvals doesn't exist for that. STW4 also dropped local pages provider, so that would have to built.

I've got some issues with the provider now that I've been staring at it... the requirement to actually have all pages listed somewhere is a pain. Not painful if all pages are created in-wiki, but that's not always the case (in my 10 years of working with file-based wikis I've moved pages around with wild abandon). IT should be easy to fix it up to check for folders, treat each folder as a namespace, and all (non-archive) pages as... pages. "Should."

Anyway.

Plans and all that.

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 10:59 AM, dodexahedron <brandon....@gmail.com> wrote:

dodexahedron

Jul 23, 2014, 1:04:46 PM7/23/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
I always was of the mind that the file storage provider should have been the plugin, and that database-backed storage should have been the first-class citizen.  The manageability of it, especially for hosted solutions (think: file permissions) is significantly easier and safer.
ASP.NET roles/etc should also remain a plugin, honestly, as it's another thing that requires server-side setup and may not be available to all users.
Basically, if this application can be self-contained (aside from its storage solution), that'd be ideal.
And, to address the storage solution potentially not being available for some (who the heck has a host without database access?), SQL Compact is an excellent answer.

But, since we're starting from v3, file-backed storage is a first-class citizen, so let's at least fix whatever issues with it you have.  Maybe post an issue on github for it so we can track it?  We can assess how to handle what as first-class storage citizens later on, once we take care of more pressing things like current outstanding bugs.

I'm also definitely a fan of simplifying or completely changing the internationalization system in the project.  For people who want to run precompiled builds, it's not very practical.  I really feel like the internationalization features should be handled via a plugin or language pack concept, like most other software out there.

I'm setting up a jenkins server right now with vs/msbuild/nant support and tied to the github repo, so there will be CI for this project.

dodexahedron

Jul 23, 2014, 10:49:53 PM7/23/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
Current status of what I've done:

- Cloned the latest code from bitbucket to github and made various minor commits, including one cosmetic bug fix and some fixes to some bad exception handling and broken ACL handling (the rest is just code formatting/cleanliness/etc, for the most part).
- Created a bugzilla bugtracker at http://bugs.screwturnwiki.com
- Created a jenkins build server at http://build.screwturnwiki.com

Things left to do:
- Create a wiki at www.screwturnwiki.com (site does not yet exist).
- Create a discussion forum at talk.screwturnwiki.com (site does not yet exist).
- Finish writing the integration script to make github commits show up in the bugtracker (right now, it just syslogs the commit messages and the github username of the person who initiated the push).
- Maybe once www.screwturnwiki.com is up, have a place there where build artifacts from the build server can be downloaded (a "get latest" sort of link, for people who want pre-packaged dev builds).

Thoughts on choice of forum software?
I'm comfortable with SMF, as I've used it for years and I have the spare capacity right now on LAMP machines.  To do any asp.net discussion forum software (most of which sucks pretty hard, by the way), I'll have to wait until a new SAN node shows up for my windows VM storage cluster (a week or two).
I'm open to anything, but can get a linux-compatible site up a lot faster due to the above constraint, so things like SMF, PHPbb, etc are preferred on that end.

dodexahedron

Jul 23, 2014, 11:19:17 PM7/23/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
Bugzilla integration is done.
Apparently there was a pre-made template for doing it right in github. >.<

michael paulukonis

Jul 24, 2014, 9:46:19 AM7/24/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
How about keeping discussions on google-groups for now? we've got some history in here. Not nesc. a lot, though.
However, it is less likely to disappear than self-hosted forums (like the old STW forum).

</bitter>