Summer of '76 by Keith Ayton at ArtisAnn Gallery Belfast October 2018 Press Release

ArtisAnn Gallery

Sep 18, 2018, 8:18:08 AM9/18/18
to studionort...@gmail.com

Press Release

For Immediate Release

Summer of ‘76

An Exhibition of Paintings by Keith Ayton

Thursday 4th October to Saturday 27th October 2018

Launch Night Wed 3rd Oct 6-8pm

​All Welcome

ArtisAnn Gallery

70 Bloomfield Avenue

Belfast BT5 5AE

Tue – Fri: 11am to 6pm

Saturday: Noon to 5pm

www.artisann.org

Summer of ‘76

An Exhibition of Paintings by Keith Ayton

Keith Ayton has lived in East Belfast for 40 years, but his spiritual home is the north coast of Ireland.  Most of his paintings feature the ever-changing, moody, brooding skies and landscapes of North Antrim and Donegal.

“In 1976 I took my first 2-week camping holiday in Donegal. We pitched our tent in the middle of a thunder storm created by the heatwave. Over the summer the tent remained pitched in the sand dunes and we cycled to it as often as we could for a few days or even a week.

The heatwave this year brought back a myriad of memories and an inevitable comparison to the summer of 1976. These paintings examine those memories and feelings revisiting the place which I now call my spiritual home.”

Keith Ayton

“I’ve come back to see where my beginnings have gone.”

Jackson Browne

Keith graduated from Art College in the 1980s, and has worked steadily to acquire what is now a clear artistic voice, producing work of outstanding quality and depth.  His work has been included in numerous prestigious exhibitions, although this is his first solo show at the ArtisAnn Gallery.  A very popular artist, his paintings have found homes throughout the British Isles, the United States and Canada, Australia and Europe.

ArtisAnn Gallery

70 Bloomfield Avenue

Belfast BT5 5AE

Tue – Fri: 11am to 6pm

Saturday: Noon to 5pm

www.artisann.org

The exhibition runs at the ArtisAnn Gallery, 70 Bloomfield Avenue, Belfast from Thursday 4th October to Saturday 27th October 2018

Launch: Wed 3rd Oct 6-8pm

​All Welcome

Admission is free

All art is available to buy, and may be collected/delivered after the exhibition ends.

You can also buy art from this exhibition through the Own Art scheme; giving you interest-free credit over 10 months  - and you still get to take the art home immediately the exhibition ends!

Ends

Contacts

For further information please contact Ann or Ken

Ann: 077 263 263 90

Ken: 079 053 395 69

Email: ma...@artisann.org

ArtisAnn Gallery

70 Bloomfield Avenue, Belfast, BT5 5AE

ma...@artisann.org

www.artisann.org

Gallery Opening Hours

Tue – Fri: 11am to 6pm

Saturday: Noon to 5pm

Notes to Editors

The ArtisAnn Gallery

The ArtisAnn is a contemporary art gallery situated on Bloomfield Avenue in East Belfast.  It showcases the work of both emerging and established artists, many of the latter members of the prestigious Royal Ulster Academy of Arts (RUA).

The gallery occupies two floors, with a range of selected artists on the ground floor and monthly themed shows in the exhibition space on the first floor.

Ann and Ken welcome visitors to call in and appreciate the art works in an accessible, friendly and fuss-free environment.  The ground floor is wheel-chair accessible, there is parking directly outside, and all major credit cards are accepted.

Ann and Ken Bartley

The gallery is run by Ann and Ken Bartley, who are no strangers to the art world, having been involved in the scene for over twenty years, during which time they have curated a number of exhibitions, including the ‘Hands of History + 20’ for the Victoria Gallery & Museum, Liverpool; ‘Introduction to the Hands of History + 20’ for the British Council, Belfast, as part of the Good Friday commemorations, and various shows at the EastSide Gallery, the ArtTank, the LinenHall Library, among other venues as well as organising other several events, and exhibiting their own work.

Focusing mainly on sketches and photography, Ann and Ken have been invited to show at the Naughton Gallery at Queen's, the Assembly Rooms, Catalyst Arts, Queen Street Studios, Tate Modern and Tate Britain, the latter two as part of a larger, collaborative work, and a solo show at the Frameworks gallery.  They have also successfully submitted works to the Royal Ulster Academy's annual show.

Ken worked for the Arts Council of Northern Ireland for almost two decades.  He also organised a range of music events in Belfast, including events at Cathedral Quarter Arts Festival, the American Jazz Musician, Roy Ayers, at the Empire and the contemporary electronic musician, Scanner, at the Belfast International Arts Festival.

He is also currently the Chair of the Digital Arts Studios in Belfast.

Ann McVeigh + Ken Bartley

ArtisAnn Gallery

70 Bloomfield Avenue

Belfast

BT5 5AE

079 053 395 69 (Mobile - Ken)

077 263 263 90 (Mobile - Ann)

ma...@artisann.org

http://www.artisann.org/

https://www.facebook.com/artisannbelfast

https://twitter.com/artisannbelfast

https://www.instagram.com/artisannbelfast

ArtisAnn - Art that works for you

Keith Ayton - Tory Island.JPG
Press Release - Keith Ayton at ArtisAnn Gallery Oct 2018.docx