State query question

anub...@hotmail.com

Dec 11, 2013, 3:32:45 AM12/11/13
to storm...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering if state queries are ordered among batches as state updates. Does Trident consider state queries as state updates and force strong ordering of batches on them ?

Thanks in advance.

churly lin

Dec 11, 2013, 4:29:42 AM12/11/13
to storm...@googlegroups.com
I am also confused on this issue. In adition, Does Trident force strong ordering of state updates among batches?Dose BaseStateUpdater<S extends State>#updateState do updates in a exactly-once semantic?

Lorenz Fischer

Dec 11, 2013, 4:06:01 PM12/11/13
to storm...@googlegroups.com
Exactly-once-semantics: As far as I understood, your updater may be called multiple times in case of a batch failing. Have a loot at this page: https://github.com/nathanmarz/storm/wiki/Trident-state. You may be interested in the OpaqueMap, TransactionalMap, and NonTransactionalMap classes in combination with the IBackingMap interface (https://github.com/nathanmarz/storm/wiki/Trident-state#implementing-map-states).

Regarding the ordering of state updates: from https://github.com/nathanmarz/storm/wiki/Trident-state: "State updates are ordered among batches. That is, the state updates for batch 3 won't be applied until the state updates for batch 2 have succeeded"

Hope this helps,
Lorenz

churly lin

Dec 12, 2013, 1:15:24 AM12/12/13
to storm...@googlegroups.com
thank you! @Lorenz Fischer
It seems that I should reread the storm wiki ^ ^

anub...@hotmail.com

Dec 12, 2013, 2:45:06 AM12/12/13
to storm...@googlegroups.com
Yeah but what about the state queries?? Are they considered as state updates (they are ordered among batches) or not?

Thanks