Neighbors are running a chop shop — what to do?

jcs

May 1, 2015, 1:44:08 AM5/1/15
to stolen-bicyc...@googlegroups.com
Hi all -

I'm 99.99% positive my neighbors are running a chop shop. I see them taking apart bikes in their backyard (which I can see from my window) multiple times a week. Feel wretched sitting around and doing nothing. Police can't get involved bc it's a private residence, and they need a warrant. Any thoughts on how to move forward?

Tonight they brought in a bike with a light brown leather seat, and a rainbow handle. Very distinct, in case it rings any bells.

Thanks so much,
JS

Joshua Bastian

May 1, 2015, 12:42:15 PM5/1/15
to jcs, stolen-bicyc...@googlegroups.com
Photos would probably help.

Jym Dyer

May 1, 2015, 2:10:26 PM5/1/15
to stolen-bicyc...@googlegroups.com
> Photos would probably help.

=v= I had the same thought, though distribution of photos could
show the thieves who's photographing them. Maybe photos with
a perspective shift (GIMP or Photoshop tool) to obscure which
direction they were taken from?
<_Jym_>

Bryan Hance

May 1, 2015, 3:54:21 PM5/1/15
to stolen-bicyc...@googlegroups.com
We've had prior success with people taking photos (through a telephoto lens) of chop shops downtown and then crosslisting them against the stolen bike listings at stolen.bikeindex.org

If you want to take some photos and send them to me/BikeIndex, feel free, and I can do this for you. Anything high end/carbon fiber/extremely distinct would be best.

Thanks - bryan@bikeindex

Tiffany

May 2, 2015, 1:11:27 AM5/2/15
to stolen-bicyc...@googlegroups.com
Have you ever stopped to think that maybe they have some type of business? Weaather it be a repair shop, or maybe they do scrapping of the metal... instead of thinking the worst of people, why dont you just ask them? Do you know how maby times I have had the cops called on ke for working on my bike in public? Had I been doing it in the privacy of my own backyard and some nosey neighbor called the police on me, I would be extewmely pissed off. Best thing to do is build a repiore with them, if you find out that the bikes are stolen and you have to do something about it, buy one of them and take it to the cops saying that tou bought it from these people and let them know the story. Then they miggt he able to get a search warrant because they will have probable cause... I dubbo thats jyst my thoughts on the whole situation