Bike out of state or just someone who wants to stop me looking for it?

gst

Jun 30, 2017, 11:16:19 AM6/30/17
to Stolen Bicycles Bay Area
My bike was stolen last Sunday in San Francisco. My walk home is along 7th and Market so I decided to give the bike thieves at UN Plaza a few flyers that promise a reward for the bike.

Today in the morning (at around 6:30) I get a call from a Kentucky-based number with a caller who asked me if I'm looking for a bike and how the bike looks like. He then told me that he lives "in the mid-west" and that he has that bike and he bought it in SF while he was visiting. When I asked him to identify the bike (with details about the bike that only someone in possession of the bike can know) he said he's not going to identify a stolen bike and hung up.

So this leaves me with two conclusions:

1) My bike is actually in Kentucky. Given the time it takes to drive from SF to Kentucky, the accent of the caller, the number, it looks like a lot of facts do support that case.

2) My bike is still in the Bay Area but someone wants to make me believe it's not so that I stop looking for it at local flea markets.

Which of those two do you think is more likely? Did something similar happen to anyone else here?

gst

Jun 30, 2017, 11:19:15 AM6/30/17
to Stolen Bicycles Bay Area
OTOH I also posted about the stolen bike online. So maybe it's some random person who read my posting and assumed I'd pay upfront to send my bicycle back to California?

Joshua Bastian

Jun 30, 2017, 12:01:30 PM6/30/17
to gst, Stolen Bicycles Bay Area
Seems most likely that it is "OTOH I also posted about the stolen bike online. So maybe it's some random person who read my posting and assumed I'd pay upfront to send my bicycle back to California?"