StokeHackSpace progress

StokeHackSpace

Jul 1, 2012, 9:33:58 AM7/1/12
to StokeHackSpace
Hi there this is just a quick update to say that the space which is
going to be used for the hackspace is starting to come together, Ive
recently purchased four benches, two of these have been setup and are
looking great. I need to purchase one more bench this coming week, I
will then be assembling three heavy duty work benches in the small
workshop area, where the metal working lathe and cnc milling machine
are located. There will be other peices of kit made available for use
in that work area, A scroll saw, and Sliding compound Mitre saw etc..
There is a laser cutter/engraver on site for working with acrylic
sheet. more details will follow as things come together more. thanks
for your time regards Quadrant

Dominic of Nottinghack

Jul 26, 2012, 5:55:11 AM7/26/12
to StokeHackSpace
Hello Quadrant

I saw Stoke Hackspace created a twitter account and followed either me
or the Nottingham Hackspace this morning. How is the Stoke project
going? I'm amazed that your group already has money to get tools like
lasers and build workbenches! Where is the Hackspace located? I've not
been able to find a webpage. I'd like to visit your Hackspace soon if
possible. How many members do you have at the moment?

Very useful for Hackerspaces at start up are the design patterns, I
expect you've seen them:

http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Design_Patterns

I remember reading them when Nottingham Hackspace was starting out, I
dismissed a load of them out of hand, but they ended up being correct
most times. They are German and they have a few different challenges
there but as I said the patterns are a VERY good guide. Did you visit
Nottingham Hackspace? Do.

Dominic
Nottingham Hackspace

On Jul 1, 2:33 pm, StokeHackSpace <stokehackspace2...@gmail.com>

Quadrant

Jul 26, 2012, 6:54:16 AM7/26/12
to stokeha...@googlegroups.com, ant wri
Hello there Dominic,
I think you maybe confusing me with Potterieshackspace
I have visited them a few times, but I feel there progress will be slow.
So ive chosen to setup my own hackspace. I already had all the equipment
At home funded by myself. My equipment was purchased to work on my project.

Ive listened to some of your podcasts ive added you to my rss reader on
My phone as I enjoyed the podcasts that I listened too.

You can find the website at stokehackspace.org.uk still under construction
But coming along very quickly. I plan to have the first group meeting on
25th August. Im located in Blythe Bridge Stoke-On-trent, the opposite end
Of the city to the Tunstall Potterieshackspace. It would be great if you
Would like to feature me on your podcast the stokehackspace is being
Entirely funded by me and will be a domestic hackspace with a relaxing
Feel to it.

Since I was a child ive always wanted to design a robot, A few years ago
I decided what better robot that Johnny Five from Short Circuit to suit
My project needs, which is to build a full animatronic robot to showcase
My computer programming skills, electronics, engineering skills, cad skills,
Etc... I created a full set of blueprints from measurements taken from the
Real Johnny Five Hero Bot. I then asked a friend if he would turn some parts
For me on his metal lathe, I waited months and months in the end I made the
Decision to purchase my own metal working lathe and learned to machine thus
Turning all my own aluminium parts. I then needed parts cnc cutting I was
Unable to find companys that would deal with one of and small orders, or it
Was two expensive so I decided to buy my own milling machine for which
I converted to cnc myself then researched the software to use. To have the
Machine cut from my cad files that I had created in solidworks. I then
Learned myself how to use the software and the machine. I have a four axis
Cnc milling machine. I have various other pieces of machinery here. I had
Quit a few large parts laser cut in the usa because in the uk they either
Showed little interest in helping or where very expensive it worked out
Cheaper to have the parts cut in America even including the postage and
Import duties it still worked out cheaper crazy hey.. I then started to
Visit FabLabs in Manchester and learned the software to control there
Large shopbot router and cut quiet a few large parts from 6mmm alluminum
On there machine, I had been the only person to undertake such work
On there machine not even the staff at fablab had cut such complex layouts.
I used there Epilog laser to cut some parts. I at that point decided that
I needed to have my own laser cutter at home. Fablabs is quiet a run from
Here and my visits to fablab where to be limited as my friend was taking me
There. To have my own machine seemed the way to go. I also used the 3d
Dimensions printer at fablabs and had quiet a few parts printed for the J5
Head, I decided that I wanted to build my own 3d printer for home and
purchased the materials to build one. The round bar and threaded bar I
decided to buy in 2meter lengths and to cut myself I chose stainless steel
For better quality. I chose to purchase linear bearings instead of using the
PLA bushings for the gantry, Ive purchased a heatbed and wade extruder for
it with gen6 electronics. The 3d printer needs gigging and finalizing the
Construction other wise everything has been purchased for it.

The space has a main room that has a electronics workbench that seats two at
A time. The 3D printer will be in this space, There is a Arcade upright
Cabinet with approx 4000 arcade games on it as its running Mame. There is
A touch screen computer which will be broadcast live to the net when the
Space is open so that other hackspaces can log in live to the space and
Collaborate with the space. There are eight Venice stylish bar stools.
For stokehackspace visitors located at the different work areas, there is
A utility work area on the landing, which features another workbench area
seating three people this area can be used for general building. There is
A small workshop room with the heavy machines in it this room wil have three
Work benches, In this room is the metal working lathe, cnc milling machine
And various other pieces of machinery as listed on the site. The laser
cutter/engraver is also currently located in this room but I feel this maybe
Moved so that its available for use on a Wednesday (7pm-9pm) when the
workshop is locked down. I plan for Wednesday evening to be for meetings or
talks and Workshop courses ie presentations on the led projector learning
people how To work with pic chips or ardunio boards etc.
Fridays (6pm-9pm) the workshop will be available along with the rest of the
space, machinery will be bookable in advance in 30min slots a max of two
slots on a machine per visitor and Saturdays (2pm-7pm) the workshop and
Other spaces will be available, with 1 hour slots bookable on the machinery
Two hours max, If someone completes before there slot is over they can offer
That remaining time to someone who has not booked but as soon as the next
Booked slot starts they must leave the machine. Booking will be strict ie
When your time is up on a piece of kit its up, This is to make it fair and
For people not to loose time to others on the machining slot. There will be
Hot and cold drinks available, Tea Coffee Hot Chocolate, and cordial squash
Drinks. There is also a sit out balconey area where people can sit outside
And have discussions, There is a yard area below the balconey where people
Can work on big materials like wood and angle grinding metal etc. The yard
Area can also be used for testing out robots etc. Outside the front of the
Property there is a private carpark that can be used by vistors to the
HackSpace, if this carpark is filled by vistors there is a public carpark
Opposite at the library where free parking will also be available. There
Are local amenitys for getting snacks and there is soon to be a Tesco
Express within a small distance to the hackspace. There is a cash machine
Three doors away if needed for any reason. Vistors are welcome to bring
Snacks and drinks with them but these must be kept away from the computers
And machinery. There will be a free wifi internet access spot at the
Hackspace for visitors to use. There will be a £3 fee for visitors to the
Space to help to cover the bills, The Hackspace is a none profit venture.
There will be a Kity Box for people to leave donations towards the
Refreshments which would be much appreciated. Visitors are to bring there
Own materials at first but over time I may start to stock things like
Perspex cut to size for the Laser machine in various colours etc. There will
Be three workbenches in the workshop. In the future by the time the space
Opens there maybe another workbench in the main work space which will seat
Another two people, The space will be able to support 10 Visitors at anyone
Time but with the space being open three days a week and on some of those
Days for quiet a few hours the space should work ok and have a nice feel
To the space. Anyone visiting the space will be required to fill out a
Small form with Name address and contact details and to fill in a rip off
disclaimer which will be in the introductory book, This disclaimer is for
Liability for any injury while at the space or accident on the machinery
Etc so that the person visiting is soley liable for there own safety.
With this being a domestic hackspace and not a business and that these
People are visiting my home I ask of them only that, So I know who is
Visiting where they come from and a contact number for if they need to
Be contacted for any reason, The information provided will be held and
Used only by myself under the data protection act. I think ive covered
Most bases there If I remember anymore things to add I that ive missed
I will be sure to forward to you. There will be plenty of work areas
And seating for visitors. Cheers you will be very welcome to come along.

The space will be open if its one person five people or ten people the
Space will be available. People will be able to get on with there own
Projects It would be nice if visitors documented there projects and
Shared files so that others could gain from work carried out at
Stokehackspace.

Cheers
Regards
Richard

I will be sure to check out the page that you posted to me.
The Rss feed and the facebook page are the best things to use currently
To keep up todate with activitys at the space. All portals for the
Group are available from the top of the website...

Quadrant

Jul 26, 2012, 7:06:44 AM7/26/12
to stokeha...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to mention Dominic in my email that every work bench will have
temperature Controlled soldering iron stations and bench lights with
magnifier

Jul 26, 2012, 9:05:27 AM7/26/12
to StokeHackSpace
Thank you! That's a lot of information. I wasn't mistaking you for
Potteries Hackspace. The J5 sounds like a great project. Have you
posted pictures of it anywhere? Will there be membership of the
Hackspace or do you see this as more of a personal/private venture?
When you describe it as domestic what do you mean?

At some point I would like to come and feature Stoke Hackspace on a
podcast. I'll perhaps pop in on an open night. Thank you very much for
listening I am always amazed when people do!

Dominic
> For more options, visithttps://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.- Hide quoted text -

Quadrant

Jul 26, 2012, 9:34:51 AM7/26/12
to stokeha...@googlegroups.com, Caleb Kraft
Hi there Dominic, Your welcome to speak to me later over video chat on skype
If you like to ask any further questions about the hackspace. The space is
Being described as a Domestic Hackspace as it is being started at my
residents my Home. My home is not your typical home, The whole space will
Be opened up except for one room which will have a lock on it which is
My private room.. The rest of the space will be made available to group
Members, ie the kitchen bathroom, workshop, large landing area, living room
Area which has been tailored specifically for the hackspace. The large
outside balconey and the yard area below it. There is a private carpark at
The front as the hackspace is located over the top of a Estate Agents in
The village of Blythe Bridge. There will soon be photos on the website
Showing you around the space with an introductory video, Im not yet at
The stage to post the photos or video But im sure I will be ready for the
First meeting on the 25th Aug. The reason im creating the hackspace is
One for motivation on my own projects, two for the social aspect ie to meet
Like minded people with similar interests. To help others that may not
Be fortunate to have access to the equipment that I have, To make things
Possible that may not other wise be possible for people and to provide
A relax atmosphere to meet in and collaborate on projects. I will step
Back and leave people to work on there projects. All I ask is for members
To respect the space and help to make the space a positive space to visit.

Cheers
Regards
Richard

Quadrant

Jul 26, 2012, 9:48:39 AM7/26/12
to stokeha...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the link you gave me ive added my hackspace there
http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/StokeHackSpace

Ive been trying to get added to the uk hackspace list but been
Unable to reach them, if you have any contact see if you
Can get me on the list thank you greatly appreciated..

Regards
Richard

P.s if I do a job I like to do it properly so the Hackspace
Should make for a nice spot to drop in cheers..