Metadata types

tp

Feb 20, 2014, 12:57:20 PM2/20/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
As the question seems to be buried in the other thread, I'll try again in a specific topic....

I've reinstated the AMF code (export part only) from the 2 years old pull request against
OpenSCAD that is referenced on stl2.org.

That  code currently uses "cad" as metadata type. Is that correct? Which values are
valid?

A post on this list says "We replaced “cad” with “producer” because often the file is
generated by things other than CAD, e.g. by scanning software.",  the amf-tools code
still checks for "cad". The XSD does not help as it simply defines it as xs:string.

-- Torsten

BobC

Feb 20, 2014, 2:04:18 PM2/20/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
It would be great to get AMF into OpenSCAD, so I will help however I can.

According to my copy of the spec the relevant text says:

"Name"- The alphanumeric label of the entity, to be used by the interpreter if interacting with the user.
"Description"- A description of the content of the entity
"URL"- A link to an external resource relating to the entity
"Author"- Specifies the name(s) of the author(s) of the entity
"Company"- Specifying the company generating the entity
"CAD"- specifies the name of the originating CAD software and version
"Revision"- specifies the revision of the entity
"Tolerance"- specifies the desired manufacturing tolerance of the entity in entity’s unit system
"Volume"- specifies the total volume of the entity, in the entity’s unit system, to be used for verification (object and volume only)
"Elastic Modulus"- specifies the elastic modulus of the entity, in SI units (material only)
"Poisson Ratio"- specifies the Poisson Ratio of the material, in SI units (material only)

So I don't know where "producer" came from.

tp

Feb 20, 2014, 3:12:25 PM2/20/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Am Donnerstag, 20. Februar 2014 20:04:18 UTC+1 schrieb BobC:

It would be great to get AMF into OpenSCAD, so I will help however I can.

Thanks, I'm actually not so sure anymore (speaking only for myself, I'm just
contributing some code to OpenSCAD). I thought it's a nice addition in
preparation for future features. But the longer I'm looking into the details
the more I fear it will end up as a maintenance problem.

"CAD"- specifies the name of the originating CAD software and version

Hmm, that would be a 3rd option then, all the other references have lower
case (or is ignore-case defined somewhere too?).

So I don't know where "producer" came from.

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/stl2/xkuxlGTddI4/xNcUsHLTQR4J (which
does sound sensible as producer is more general and fits the intended
use quite well.)

-- Torsten

BobC

Feb 20, 2014, 7:28:06 PM2/20/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
That's shame, my copy must be a draft or something.

Now, if it was a truly Open standard, we wouldn't have this problem.

The reason I would like to see AMF support in OpenSCAD is more to do with opening the door to anything other than STL, and get some architecture for attributes, multiple volumes etc. Hopefully, when there is a generic exporter we can implement other formats.

BobC

Feb 20, 2014, 7:43:05 PM2/20/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
Ok, it seems there are several incompatible versions of AMF standard, and no way to tell which one is in effect. That is not going to be confusing at all. I guess I have "v1".

The closer I look at it, the more AMF is turning into a bad joke.

Jacob Barhak

Feb 20, 2014, 8:00:31 PM2/20/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob,

If there are multiple versions that the standard committee cannot keep up with this actually means the opposite from your conclusion.

This means there are more ideas and initiatives out there. This means that strict regulation may not work and the standard has to evolve rather than be restricted.

In the open source code community, people just open a repository to store the versions and people later choose which version they want to use.

There are clever ways to handle versions these days. Wiki is one example for documents, yet software packages can be cleverly regulated by need. I can give examples if anyone wants details.

Considering what I see in this discussion I will not be surprised if AMF  chooses to  go fully open.

In any case an up to date wiki page would be good.

         Jacob

Sent from my iPhone