Announcing P3D: An AMF Mesh Parser for the Web

D1plo1d

Feb 4, 2013, 2:26:56 PM2/4/13
to st...@googlegroups.com
In case anyone is interested in using AMF in the web browser I have just released the first version of P3D, a coffeescript AMF parser I've been working on. It's made to work with WebGL but it could also be very useful for web-based mesh manipulation.

The current implementation is super-light-weight, presently weighing in at around 500-600 lines of coffeescript. It makes uses a number of the latest HTML5 JS APIs to get some pretty insane speeds and I'm working on a WebWorkers implementation of AMF that can parse files in the background.

Feature-wise, It can parse AMF meshes with flat and curved surfaces (using hermite curve triangle subdivision) however there are some limitations (curved edges are not yet implemented for example, nor are material latices).

Anyways, I would love to develop this with the help of the community.

And if your not interested in parser development or documentation, I would still really appreciate feedback either here on on the P3D issue tracker.

https://github.com/D1plo1d/p3d

Cheers,
Rob

Jonathan Hiller

Feb 4, 2013, 9:36:44 PM2/4/13
to st...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob,

Sounds useful! I imagine you'll get more feedback from this group if
you provide a test url where folks can play with it without diving
into the repo.

~Jon

D1plo1d

Feb 5, 2013, 2:30:50 AM2/5/13
to st...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon,

Good point! I'll put throw together some examples for you guys tomorrow.

Cheers,
Rob

D1plo1d

Feb 6, 2013, 1:54:19 PM2/6/13
to st...@googlegroups.com
Ok, the P3D demos are now posted: http://d1plo1d.github.com/p3d/examples/, critique away! :)

Note: The current demo doesn't make use of the HTML5 File API capabilities of P3D. It only demonstrates it's basic file loading/ajax use case at the moment. This is mainly because I haven't gotten around to building the demo for that yet (pull requests still fully appreciated though ;) ).

Cheers,
Rob