Composite Material Question

Troy Bodkin

Aug 9, 2016, 10:52:46 AM8/9/16
to STL 2.0
Hello all,

A quick question on material composites in AMF Tools, I'm looking to create an object where the material grades from one in the centre of the object to another at the outside surface.

I've toyed with the Composite Material Definition tool and the example parts available on the wikispace but had no luck figuring out the formula for this. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks,
Troy

Hod Lipson

Aug 9, 2016, 11:08:53 AM8/9/16
to st...@googlegroups.com
Hi Troy,

You would need to define a composite where the proportions of the two materials is a formula that depends on the (x y z) coordinates. The formula should generate 0.5 at the center and 1.0 at the edges.

Then you would use the formula to specify the value of one material, and "1 minus the formula" to specify the proportion of the second material.

For example, if the object was a sphere of radius 1 centered around coordinate 0,0,0 then the formula would be something like sqrt(x*x+y*y+z*z)/2+0.5

--hod

Hod Lipson
Prof. of Mechanical Engineering, Columbia University in NYC
Mudd 535E, 500 W. 120th St., New York, NY 10027 USA
Cell: (607) 592 4383  Email: hod.l...@columbia.edu

Troy Bodkin

Aug 10, 2016, 7:02:52 AM8/10/16
to STL 2.0
Hello Hod,

Thank you for the advice, your suggestion has helped me solve my problem as well as explore a few other solutions!

Many thanks,

Troy