Master Server Query Protocol No Longer Used By Valve

chriswan...@gmail.com

Nov 11, 2013, 9:26:36 PM11/11/13
to steam-c...@googlegroups.com
I've noticed that the Steam server browser no longer uses the masterserver's like it used to. Basically, it does not contact the IP addresses that are listed in Steam/config/MasterServer2.vdf (or MasterServer.vdf). Steam Condenser still uses this way to obtain server lists, but I've noticed when polling for GoldSrc servers through Steam Condenser, it returns Source servers, and the list is incomplete.

Using WireShark, I've noticed that it contacts an IP address (208.78.164.9) that is listed in Steam/config/config.vdf, but it's a completely different format that I haven't been able to decipher yet. It is not in the master server query protocol.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Sebastian Staudt

Nov 12, 2013, 12:54:28 AM11/12/13
to steam-condenser
Hi.

I also noticed this a few weeks ago.
As far as I recall the new protocol has a similarity to Steam's other protocols. And Valve hasn't shared any information on it yet.
Maybe it will replace the old protocol completely. Currently, I guess, the old one is still there for third party compatibility.

Best regards,
    Sebastian

I've noticed that the Steam server browser no longer uses the masterserver's like it used to. Basically, it does not contact the IP addresses that are listed in Steam/config/MasterServer2.vdf (or MasterServer.vdf). Steam Condenser still uses this way to obtain server lists, but I've noticed when polling for GoldSrc servers through Steam Condenser, it returns Source servers, and the list is incomplete.

Using WireShark, I've noticed that it contacts an IP address (208.78.164.9) that is listed in Steam/config/config.vdf, but it's a completely different format that I haven't been able to decipher yet. It is not in the master server query protocol.

Has anyone else noticed this?

chriswan...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2013, 12:34:57 AM11/13/13
to steam-c...@googlegroups.com
The regular masterservers seem to be returning Source servers when I query for GoldSrc servers now. If I use Setti's masterservers (http://css.setti.info/), everything works correctly.
Are there any official channels where developers can request features and or information from Valve's HLDS developers?

Regards,
Chris

Sebastian Staudt

Nov 13, 2013, 12:44:11 AM11/13/13
to steam-condenser
For server issues Valve's mailing lists are a good place to go.

Most notably hlds and hlds_linux.