HackerSpace Evenings

Aaron

Apr 1, 2011, 11:46:13 AM4/1/11
to Stavanger HackerSpace
Hey everybody,

We had a very productive evening at the HackerSpace on Thursday
evening. We made some good progress at building a rig to hold a
camera from a kite and a method for triggering the camera
automagically. We should be able to have a working rig in the next
week or so if we keep our heads against it.
Next week Fredrick will be out of town at a concert, so the HS won't
be open, but we could definitely meet somewhere else if there is
enthusiasm.

Are there any other proposed projects out there that people would like
to jump on? I've been learning about 555s and have had some moderate
success building a device for a digital SLR that takes pictures every
few seconds and stitches them into a movie. This time-lapse movie was
made from about 900 shots taken once every 20 seconds. It's not very
interesting to watch, but it is a good starting place.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f1BK3WOp7U

I'm keen to try some other projects using 555s as they are pretty
cheap, I have a heap of them handy, they are pretty easy to understand
and there is a wealth of knowledge out on the intertubes regarding how
they work and projects based on them.

Also, if Thursdays aren't working out for people, perhaps we can find
another time to meet.

This HackerSpace can be as awesome as we make it. I hope those of you
that have joined the group are enthusiastic and come out to see what
we're doing in Meat Space as well as what we do on the interweb.

Austin Bingham

Apr 1, 2011, 3:54:15 PM4/1/11
to Aaron, Stavanger HackerSpace
> We had a very productive evening at the HackerSpace on Thursday
> evening.  We made some good progress at building a rig to hold a
> camera from a kite and a method for triggering the camera
> automagically.  We should be able to have a working rig in the next
> week or so if we keep our heads against it.

I've made a bit more progress on the picavet, and it seems to be
working just fine. I just using some 2mm polyester braid, and while
it's not ideal, everything seems to be working really well. The system
rolls well, and the line isn't fouling in the pulleys. Here are a few
pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/austin.bingham/PicavetRig#

The c-clamps are just to add some weight, they're not actually holding
the plates together. So, things are coming together!

Austin

fenre

Apr 12, 2011, 6:10:03 AM4/12/11
to stavanger-...@googlegroups.com

I am sorry to say that I will also be away this thursday evening.

However, if someone is interested in doing som work on friday, I will be in the workshop all evening.

Solveig

Apr 12, 2011, 10:48:55 AM4/12/11
to Stavanger HackerSpace

Hey hey,

when will the next meeting be? I always have Wednesdays booked as I'm
in a janitsjar band, but besides that all days work. I might have to
fight my dear bf for the car depending on his work hours, but most of
the time it's okay.

I'm an eager crafts lady and know how to handle a sewing machine and
knitting needles ;)
Message has been deleted

David

Apr 12, 2011, 11:33:17 AM4/12/11
to Stavanger HackerSpace
Hi all, it is impressive what you all have done. I liked the automated
shutter for the slr camera, it would be cool to make an animation of
the change in light and weather from night to day..

If people are interested, we could also just meet in stavanger (at
thursday?) and discuss projects, maybe Aaron could teach us about the
555circuit?? :)

-David

Austin Bingham

Apr 12, 2011, 1:30:50 PM4/12/11
to stavanger-...@googlegroups.com
I'll be in on Friday, too.

Austin

Austin Bingham

Apr 12, 2011, 1:34:02 PM4/12/11
to Stavanger HackerSpace
Would you be willing to give some basic sewing instruction sometime?
That's something I'd love to learn.

Austin

Solveig

Apr 13, 2011, 9:15:42 AM4/13/11
to Stavanger HackerSpace
Sure, I can do that. Just need to know what's interesting to make,
what kind of sewing (by hand or machine), when and where. And whether
to bring my sewing machines and equipment :p I have a regular sewing
machine and an combined overlock/coverlock machine.

I work with GUI normally, and I have an education in multimedia
technology and design so I've done some filming, editing, 3d
modelling, programming, ++...so I can do other stuff than just knit
socks ;)

Unfortunately I can't make it on Friday, but will try to show up for
the next meeting.

On Apr 12, 7:34 pm, Austin Bingham <austin.bing...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would you be willing to give some basic sewing instruction sometime?
> That's something I'd love to learn.
>
> Austin

Austin Bingham

Apr 13, 2011, 12:07:00 PM4/13/11
to Stavanger HackerSpace
On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 3:15 PM, Solveig <solv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure, I can do that. Just need to know what's interesting to make,
> what kind of sewing (by hand or machine), when and where. And whether
> to bring my sewing machines and equipment :p I have a regular sewing
> machine and an combined overlock/coverlock machine.

I guess I don't even know enough to really know what to ask for! I
don't have a machine, so I guess hand sewing would make the most
sense. I wouldn't mind knowing how to use a machine, either, but that
can wait.

I'd like to know how to do things like mend holes and seams, make a
basic bag or cover, and generally be able to attach cloth in a strong
way. Kinda vague.

> Unfortunately I can't make it on Friday, but will try to show up for
> the next meeting.

I think I'll be there next wee, too, so hopefully I'll see you then.

Austin

Aaron

Apr 14, 2011, 1:21:10 AM4/14/11
to Stavanger HackerSpace
I won't be able to make it on friday, but I'd be happy to teach what I
know about 555s the thursday after Påske. How many people are
interested? I can round up some bread boards and a few power supplies
and some other gear to teach a super basic session on what 555s do.
Have a good time on Friday night everybody.

@Austin: I've been rather consumed with other projects/life and have
made zero headway on mounting the servo to the camera. I will get some
work done next week and the week after Easter (Påske). We're headed
off to Holland to visit family most of next week.

fenre

Apr 15, 2011, 9:13:31 AM4/15/11
to stavanger-...@googlegroups.com
I'll be going out to buy some tools and maybe a some wood after work today. Hopefully I'll be in the workshop around 6.

fenre

Apr 25, 2011, 4:06:30 PM4/25/11
to stavanger-...@googlegroups.com
Workspace will be open this thursday.

fenre

May 18, 2011, 4:07:17 AM5/18/11
to stavanger-...@googlegroups.com
I won't be able to attend this week's meeting, but the workshop will be open.

fenre

May 26, 2011, 8:47:54 AM5/26/11
to stavanger-...@googlegroups.com
Don't know if anyone plans to show up tonight, but I was just told that I need to work overtime today, so I won't be there. It will still be open though..

Solveig

May 26, 2011, 9:18:57 AM5/26/11
to Stavanger HackerSpace
I'm not coming today :S I'm starting to get sick so will go home after
work and try not to get more sick :p

fenre

May 27, 2011, 1:47:50 AM5/27/11
to stavanger-...@googlegroups.com
Did anyone show up last night? I didn't come back home until 10 and wouldn't know..

Austin Bingham

May 29, 2011, 11:11:03 AM5/29/11
to stavanger-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I was out of town. I plan to come this week, though.

fenre

Jun 2, 2011, 8:59:53 AM6/2/11
to stavanger-...@googlegroups.com
I will fire up the heater at around 6 this afternoon.

Austin Bingham

Jun 2, 2011, 1:01:33 PM6/2/11
to stavanger-...@googlegroups.com
I thought I'd be able to come in today, but it looks like I won't be
able to make it.

fenre

Jun 16, 2011, 4:00:46 AM6/16/11
to stavanger-...@googlegroups.com
If the weather stays the same until this afternoon, I'll probably dig out the barbeque for this evenings work session. I've got a couple of burgers and hot dogs, but feel free to bring anything else if you feel like it. Also, I finally got around to clean the workshop refridgerator, which means there is finally sodas and beers to be had.

My plan for todays session is to design and hopefully build a small room for the computer rack, so that it is no longer as exposed to the moist and cold weather of western Norway. Also it might keep some of the workshop dust away from the equipment.

After a busy month with practically no hackerspace meetings I'm hoping we'll all be able to continue our journey towards geek glory :)

Austin Bingham

Jun 16, 2011, 4:24:15 AM6/16/11
to stavanger-...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there tonight.

Bjørn Hegle

Jun 16, 2011, 5:48:02 AM6/16/11
to stavanger-...@googlegroups.com
I'm off to the football game tonight...so I will not be there.

fenre

Jun 16, 2011, 6:36:37 AM6/16/11
to stavanger-...@googlegroups.com
Football? You are being very optimistic if you think you'll get to see football there tonight :P