Morse Code

Austin Bingham

Apr 29, 2011, 2:21:55 AM4/29/11
to Stavanger HackerSpace
Hi everyone,

Apparently I was totally wrong about Morse code :) The 'e' is indeed a
single dot. The individual characters and words are separated by
specified time ranges:

Code di's (dots) and dah's (dashes) and the spaces between them are
sent using standard fixed time intervals. A di takes one
unit of time, a dah takes three units of time, the space between
di's and dah's of the same character takes one unit of time, the
space between characters takes three units of time, and the space
between words takes seven units of time.

(from http://codepractice.com/learning.html)

I'm curious now to expand that little arduino program to tap out
whatever words we give it...maybe even make it read weather reports or
something.

Austin

Solveig

Apr 29, 2011, 4:16:36 AM4/29/11
to Stavanger HackerSpace
.... . ..

How fun :) I actually remembered the 5 characters correctly, but these
time ranges was new to me :) Cool

If you're wondering about the Norwegian characters...I found them
here: http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morsealfabetet

We can probably make it read weather reports, but could we manage to
actually what it spelled out?

Maybe we should make a program that does that as well ;) Takes in the
different lights and decodes it :p

On Apr 29, 8:21 am, Austin Bingham <austin.bing...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Apparently I was totally wrong about Morse code :) The 'e' is indeed a
> single dot. The individual characters and words are separated by
> specified time ranges:
>
>    Code di's (dots) and dah's (dashes) and the spaces between them are
> sent using standard fixed time intervals. A di takes one
>    unit of time, a dah takes three units of time, the space between
> di's and dah's of the same character takes one unit of time, the
>    space between characters takes three units of time, and the space
> between words takes seven units of time.
>
> (fromhttp://codepractice.com/learning.html)

Solveig

Apr 29, 2011, 4:25:01 AM4/29/11
to Stavanger HackerSpace
In my last message it should say "but could we manage to understand
what it actually spells out?"...typo.

Actually...if we could make the decode program understand sound (or
light) and decode it...then we could practice by tapping whatever
message and have the decode program spell out what we just tapped.
Would be a good way of practicing morse ;) And if we tap non-existing
letters then it could give us feedback on that as well.

I think we could add the morse alphabet to the geeky art ;) Either buy
a poster, or make one ourselves. Probably not easy to get a poster of
Norwegian morse alphabet, but probably not too difficult to get an
English one.