Resources for stan presentations

Dustin Tran

Oct 19, 2015, 2:51:02 AM10/19/15
to stan development mailing list
I'm giving an obligatory talk at the harvard stats dept this Tuesday, which I decided will be on ADVI and Stan. Are there any beamer slides available for Stan (in general)?

I recall circulation of one from Bob although I can't seem to find it in any of the repos. Closest are the non-source-code slides at https://github.com/stan-dev/stan-dev.github.io/tree/master/workshops.

Daniel Lee

Oct 19, 2015, 5:16:16 AM10/19/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
You should be able to see the papers and workshops repos now. You'll find some stuff in there.

> On Oct 19, 2015, at 2:51 AM, Dustin Tran <dustinv...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm giving an obligatory talk at the harvard stats dept this Tuesday, which I decided will be on ADVI and Stan. Are there any beamer slides available for Stan (in general)?
>
> I recall circulation of one from Bob although I can't seem to find it in any of the repos. Closest are the non-source-code slides at https://github.com/stan-dev/stan-dev.github.io/tree/master/workshops.

Dustin Tran

Oct 19, 2015, 5:23:47 AM10/19/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, thanks.

Dustin

Bob Carpenter

Oct 19, 2015, 12:55:25 PM10/19/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
The long form of what I used for our short course is here:

stan-dev/papers/short-course-2015/

The latest shorter-form talk I gave was for the Ann Arbor R meetup,
which was pretty stat oriented:

stan-dev/paprs/overview_talk/rstan-ann-arbor-2015.tex

It's much more example based than the earlier talks I was giving,
which has worked well for applied stats audiences. You can
also see the darpa-ppaml PI meeting talk in there, which was the
last talk I did before Ann Arbor and the above course.

- Bob

Dustin Tran

Oct 19, 2015, 1:48:07 PM10/19/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
I’m having some trouble with compilation—first it was a "lucimatx.sty” missing, and after downloading it from the web a new error is:

! Font OML/hlcm/m/itx/8=hlcrim at 7.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not fou
nd.
<to be read again>
relax
l.30 ...June 2015) \hfill \url{http://mc-stan.org}
}

Oh well, the text in the .tex files is still useful!

Dustin

Daniel Lee

Oct 19, 2015, 1:50:07 PM10/19/15
to stan-dev mailing list
Yeah... they have the font that Bob has for the manual.

At some point I figured out how to conditionally bring in the font after looking whether it exists, but I don't think that made it to the presentation styles.

Daniel

Ben Goodrich

Oct 19, 2015, 1:58:41 PM10/19/15
On Monday, October 19, 2015 at 1:50:07 PM UTC-4, Daniel Lee wrote:
Yeah... they have the font that Bob has for the manual.

At some point I figured out how to conditionally bring in the font after looking whether it exists, but I don't think that made it to the presentation styles.

I pushed that conditional thing into the workshops repo this summer. Patch attached.

Ben

conditional.patch

Dustin Tran

Oct 19, 2015, 2:06:44 PM10/19/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
perfect, it works. thanks. i pushed the changes so that it’s applied to the overview_talks and short-courses.

Dustin
<conditional.patch>

Sebastian Weber

Dec 15, 2015, 3:04:01 AM12/15/15
to stan development mailing list
Hi!

Is it possible that I don't have sufficient rights to see this material? I wanted to take a look at the available material to prepare for the ISBA2016 Stan tutorial I will be giving.

Also, I would be very interested in your experience in giving these courses, i.e. what works well and what doesn't. My plan was to give a very rough intro to NuTS such that users understand terms as tree-depth and divergent transitions; then present the Stan modeling language (possibly using the assumption that people know BUGS); and conclude with some examples which I would complement with recommendations on how to code (large) Stan models using Rstan.

Many thanks!

Best,
Sebastian

Sebastian Weber

Dec 15, 2015, 5:38:32 AM12/15/15
to stan development mailing list
I found some material under stan-dev / workshops which I guess is the referred to material. Or is there other material around?

Thanks!

Sebastian

Bob Carpenter

Dec 15, 2015, 2:58:36 PM12/15/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Almost all of our presentations in private repos. I'll
take this up with you off list.

- Bob