Suggested discourse to-dos

Allen Riddell

Aug 13, 2016, 1:42:25 PM8/13/16
to stan development mailing list
Hi all,

Daniel asked me for possible next steps in getting discourse working.

I suggested it might be useful to look at how a similar community has
configured discourse. Rust (the new programming language by Mozilla) has
their dev "list" on discourse: https://internals.rust-lang.org/ . You
can see the "categories" they are using to organize discussion here:
https://internals.rust-lang.org/categories

I think encouraging a few people from stan-users to try discouse out
(perhaps aided by the promise of speedy responses) might be a useful way
to start. There needs to be a little activity on the forum in order to
figure out what else needs to be configured.

Best,

Allen

Bob Carpenter

Aug 13, 2016, 4:16:09 PM8/13/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
I don't think we have the headroom to offer speedier responses
unless we intentionally slow down on the regular list.

- Bob

Michael Betancourt

Aug 14, 2016, 7:19:38 PM8/14/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
I had a first go at organizing categories, http://discourse.mc-stan.org/categories.
Anyone have any thoughts?

Allen Riddell

Aug 14, 2016, 8:15:59 PM8/14/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Looks good! I wonder if we shouldn't also take an empirical approach and
look at what folks tend to post to stan-users.

It seems like there are lots of beginner questions (people fitting their
first model, or failing to fit 8 schools) and then bug-ish reports from
advanced users who report that something is not working as expected.

What about splitting "Modeling" into two categories

- Installation / Getting Started (Interfaces could be merged here)
- Model/Program Language

Perhaps a "Statistics" category as well for questions that aren't really
specific to Stan?

Maybe a "Bugs" category as well for people who do not have Github accounts?

Best,

Allen

Michael Betancourt

Aug 14, 2016, 11:19:13 PM8/14/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
I did use the Users’ List for inspiration in the organization. Given
that most bug reports come from advanced users I’d rather keep
that to Github, and I think we can get away with Getting Started
info in the FAQ (in particular, I’d rather this not be the place
people first try to learn how to use Stan, but rather where they
go when they want to learn more).

Bob Carpenter

Aug 15, 2016, 7:34:09 AM8/15/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Most true bug reports come from advanced users, but we get
lots of bogus bug reports from less advanced users. But
most of those also come in through GitHub. It's only the
people who refuse to learn GitHub for which we'll have a problem,
and we can just continue to act as secretaries for them.

- Bob

Allen Riddell

Aug 15, 2016, 8:23:23 AM8/15/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
One other place to look for inspiration is discourse's discourse forum:
https://meta.discourse.org/categories

Discourse's discourse does have a category for bugs (discourse also uses
github). I think we need that category even if every post is answered by
a bot telling the user to post the issue on github. Otherwise I think
people will post bugs in whatever forum seems closest to their bug.
Postel's law seems like it might apply here, "be conservative in what
you do, be liberal in what you accept from others".

Discourse's discourse does have an "Installation" category. Personally,
I think "Installation" (Or "Getting Started") is clearer than "Interfaces".

Discourse's discourse has some other interesting categories such as
"howto". Perhaps we could use that to discuss seeds for example models?

Best,

Allen Riddell

Aug 15, 2016, 8:25:23 AM8/15/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Let's Encrypt's discourse (https://community.letsencrypt.org/categories)
suggests one more category: "Feature Requests" ?

Bob Carpenter

Aug 15, 2016, 10:28:09 AM8/15/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
These should also go in the issue tracker. But as with
bug reports, many people send them to the list and I
(or someone else) will copy them over.

- Bob

Daniel Lee

Aug 15, 2016, 10:48:01 AM8/15/16
to stan-dev mailing list
I have a few questions:

1. I would like the stan-dev group to move over too. Is it possible to have a public category (or some other mechanism) where it's visible to all, but only a subset of users can post?
2. Should we enable the other authentication methods? Like google, facebook, twitter, etc.?
3. How does email with discourse work? There are a lot of settings, but I haven't had the patience to figure out what it all means.

Daniel

Daniel Lee

Aug 15, 2016, 10:50:22 AM8/15/16
to stan-dev mailing list
And I forgot about:
4. is there support for latex? Can we install a plugin?

Daniel

Krzysztof Sakrejda

Aug 15, 2016, 10:53:21 AM8/15/16
to stan development mailing list
Just don't make me come up with another password! Google/whatever authentication all the way! K

Allen Riddell

Aug 15, 2016, 11:01:10 AM8/15/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
I'm curious about the post-by-email feature. I'll look into this.

On 08/15/2016 10:47 AM, Daniel Lee wrote:
> I have a few questions:
>
> 1. I would like the stan-dev group to move over too. Is it possible to
> have a public category (or some other mechanism) where it's visible to
> all, but only a subset of users can post?
> 2. Should we enable the other authentication methods? Like google,
> facebook, twitter, etc.?
> 3. How does email with discourse work? There are a lot of settings, but
> I haven't had the patience to figure out what it all means.
>

> Daniel
>

> On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 10:27 AM, Bob Carpenter <ca...@alias-i.com
> <mailto:ca...@alias-i.com>> wrote:
>
> These should also go in the issue tracker. But as with
> bug reports, many people send them to the list and I
> (or someone else) will copy them over.
>
> - Bob
>
> > On Aug 15, 2016, at 2:25 PM, Allen Riddell <ridd...@fastmail.com
> <mailto:ridd...@fastmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Let's Encrypt's discourse
> (https://community.letsencrypt.org/categories
> <https://community.letsencrypt.org/categories>)
> > suggests one more category: "Feature Requests" ?
> >
> > On 08/14/2016 11:19 PM, Michael Betancourt wrote:
> >> I did use the Users’ List for inspiration in the organization. Given
> >> that most bug reports come from advanced users I’d rather keep
> >> that to Github, and I think we can get away with Getting Started
> >> info in the FAQ (in particular, I’d rather this not be the place
> >> people first try to learn how to use Stan, but rather where they
> >> go when they want to learn more).

> approach and

> fitting their
> reports from

> aren't really

> Github accounts?

> http://discourse.mc-stan.org/categories
> <http://discourse.mc-stan.org/categories>.

> working.

> community has
> Mozilla) has
> https://internals.rust-lang.org/ <https://internals.rust-lang.org/>
> . You
> discussion here:
> <https://internals.rust-lang.org/categories>

> discouse out
> useful way
> order to

> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
> >>

> > --
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
> >

> --

Bob Carpenter

Aug 15, 2016, 11:23:16 AM8/15/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Well, Google Groups means you can use your Google password.
But the problem if we don't require our own password is that
we have no way to track number of users "registered." Probably
not a big deal, but we're almost at 2K on the users list now.

- Bob

> On Aug 15, 2016, at 4:53 PM, Krzysztof Sakrejda <krzysztof...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Just don't make me come up with another password! Google/whatever authentication all the way! K

Krzysztof Sakrejda

Aug 15, 2016, 11:43:33 AM8/15/16
On Monday, August 15, 2016 at 11:23:16 AM UTC-4, Bob Carpenter wrote:
> Well, Google Groups means you can use your Google password.
> But the problem if we don't require our own password is that
> we have no way to track number of users "registered." Probably
> not a big deal, but we're almost at 2K on the users list now.

Looks like at least some stats are available: https://meta.discourse.org/t/visualised-traffic-statistics/44298?u=erlend_sh

Michael Betancourt

Aug 15, 2016, 12:11:34 PM8/15/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Bob — I want to discourage people (especially new users)
from thinking that they have actual bugs. I’d rather they have to spend
a second figuring out to where their query best belongs. Also features
should go on GitHub as well. We can have links to these on the
Getting Started page.

“Interfaces” was originally “Installation” as you suggest, but that excludes
questions about reading in data and inits or manipulating the output.

Michael Betancourt

Aug 15, 2016, 12:13:34 PM8/15/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com

> 1. I would like the stan-dev group to move over too. Is it possible to have a public category (or some other mechanism) where it's visible to all, but only a subset of users can post?

Yes, see the current page. The developer categories can be read by anyone
but only those members in the “Developer” group can post topics or replies.
Only admins can assign members to groups.

> 2. Should we enable the other authentication methods? Like google, facebook, twitter, etc.?

Yes, I’m fine with any and all. We’d just have to go through each of those
sites to get appropriate API tokens.

> 3. How does email with discourse work? There are a lot of settings, but I haven't had the patience to figure out what it all means.

I haven’t played with this yet, but I am receiving emails as people post
new topics. So outgoing mail definitely works.

Michael Betancourt

Aug 15, 2016, 12:15:28 PM8/15/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
It doesn’t look like there’s a stable MathJax plugin for Discourse at the moment.

Michael Betancourt

Aug 15, 2016, 12:19:56 PM8/15/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Oooh, replying via email works without any issue. You just
need to have an account registered to that email.

Avraham Adler

Aug 15, 2016, 1:34:08 PM8/15/16
to stan development mailing list

> > --

> --

> --

Did you see https://meta.discourse.org/t/mathjax-plugin-supports-math-notation-using-latex/12826

Allen Riddell

Aug 15, 2016, 1:37:22 PM8/15/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com

On 08/15/2016 12:13 PM, Michael Betancourt wrote:

>> 3. How does email with discourse work? There are a lot of settings, but I haven't had the patience to figure out what it all means.
>
> I haven’t played with this yet, but I am receiving emails as people post
> new topics. So outgoing mail definitely works.

If you create/respond to a topic you'll get notices of subsequent
logging in. I just verified this is working.

I'm curious if it's possible to do the _initial_ post via e-mail. My
sense is that this is not the way things are done.

Allen Riddell

Aug 15, 2016, 1:42:55 PM8/15/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
It looks like we can allow people to post via email but we have to pick
a default category for these emails, see
https://meta.discourse.org/t/set-up-email-in-start-topic-via-email/27686/2

Not sure if we want to do this. It might be useful to force people to
login and pick a category.

Best

AR

Michael Betancourt

Aug 15, 2016, 5:48:19 PM8/15/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com

It looks like we can allow people to post via email but we have to pick
a default category for these emails, see
https://meta.discourse.org/t/set-up-email-in-start-topic-via-email/27686/2

Not sure if we want to do this. It might be useful to force people to
login and pick a category.

That is very much my opinion.

Bob Carpenter

Aug 15, 2016, 7:21:09 PM8/15/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Since this got underposted the first time, I'm reposting
to make sure people see it:

> On Aug 15, 2016, at 7:34 PM, Avraham Adler <avraha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Did you see https://meta.discourse.org/t/mathjax-plugin-supports-math-notation-using-latex/12826

Allowing MathJax on our list would be great, though I don't know what it'll look
like in email and don't know if there is a preview. It's very frustrating
that WordPress (as used on both Andrew's blog and my old blog) doesn't have a preview.
It's fine if you have edit privelege, but bad for users.

- Bob

Daniel Lee

Aug 15, 2016, 10:05:56 PM8/15/16
to stan-dev mailing list
It looks like we can configure discourse to start topics within a category via email:

Mind if I enable it? It would be great to have the dev list still be allowed to be an email list.

Daniel

P.S. Thanks, Mike, and anyone else giving it some structure. I'd personally prefer less nesting within categories. (but could be convinced having this much structure is good.)

Michael Betancourt

Aug 15, 2016, 11:51:08 PM8/15/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
We can enable it preliminarily but I think that it’s going to
be nothing but trouble as most people won’t be able to
identify the right categories without going to the website
anyways.

Daniel Lee

Aug 15, 2016, 11:55:21 PM8/15/16
to stan-dev mailing list
It doesn't have to be enabled for all categories.

I was just talking about the activity on stan...@googlegroups.com. I don't think we need to separate our dev list into multiple subcategories, but maybe we should?

I just looked at our hosting and we could enable forwarding addresses, so we'd be able to do something like: stan...@mc-stan.org... or d...@mc-stan.org.

Daniel

Michael Betancourt

Aug 16, 2016, 12:08:28 AM8/16/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
I think the more organization the better, but anyone can change it if they want.

Avraham Adler

Aug 19, 2016, 9:19:48 AM8/19/16
to stan development mailing list
The login using Google OAuth seems not to be configured properly, as evidenced by the error message I get:

Error: redirect_uri_mismatch

Application: Stan Discourse

You can email the developer of this application at: mc.sta...@gmail.com

The redirect URI in the request, http://discourse.mc-stan.org/auth/google_oauth2/callback, does not match the ones authorized for the OAuth client. Visit https://console.developers.google.com/apis/credentials/oauthclient/374741276069-

Daniel Lee

Aug 19, 2016, 9:39:24 AM8/19/16
to stan-dev mailing list
I'll try to get it working.

Daniel Lee

Aug 19, 2016, 9:56:09 AM8/19/16
to stan-dev mailing list
Can you try the google authentication now?

Avraham Adler

Aug 19, 2016, 12:38:40 PM8/19/16
to stan development mailing list
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to stan-dev+u...@googlegroups.com.

400. That’s an error.

Error: redirect_uri_mismatch

Application: Stan Discourse

You can email the developer of this application at: mc.sta...@gmail.com

The redirect URI in the request, http://discourse.mc-stan.org/auth/google_oauth2/callback, does not match the ones authorized for the OAuth client. Visit https://console.developers.google.com/apis/credentials/oauthclient/374741276069-hb8dan78bt3egmfric12co5i7q74ueup.apps.googleusercontent.com?project=374741276069 to update the authorized redirect URIs.

Learn more
Request Details

That’s all we know.

Daniel Lee

Aug 19, 2016, 2:00:44 PM8/19/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Was it in the same browser session? I had to close and come back for it to work.

Avraham Adler

Aug 20, 2016, 9:20:10 PM8/20/16
On Friday, August 19, 2016 at 2:00:44 PM UTC-4, Daniel Lee wrote:
> Was it in the same browser session? I had to close and come back for it to work.

Different computer, let alone browser session 8-)

Avi