Math v2.10.0 and Stan v2.10.0 tagged

Daniel Lee

Jun 17, 2016, 11:14:09 AM6/17/16
to stan-dev mailing list
If you're working on an interface, use the tagged versions.

Daniel

Bob Carpenter

Jun 17, 2016, 11:53:41 AM6/17/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Woo-hoo! Thanks, Daniel!

- Bob

Krzysztof Sakrejda

Jun 17, 2016, 12:29:17 PM6/17/16
to stan development mailing list
On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 11:14:09 AM UTC-4, Daniel Lee wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I got it tagged and released this morning.
>
> Math: https://github.com/stan-dev/math/releases/tag/v2.10.0
> Stan: https://github.com/stan-dev/stan/releases/tag/v2.10.0

Progress! Congrats. Krzysztof

Ben Goodrich

Jun 17, 2016, 2:11:12 PM6/17/16
to stan development mailing list
I am getting a compiler error on Windows. See the bottom of

http://win-builder.r-project.org/u7zD08v4zXW4/00install.out

Ring any bells?

Ben

Ben Goodrich

Jun 17, 2016, 2:20:27 PM6/17/16
to stan development mailing list

Attached is the slightly different error from clang++-3.8.

Ben

error.txt

Bob Carpenter

Jun 17, 2016, 2:43:08 PM6/17/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. That's not happening under any of our other builds
and the error path doesn't ring any bells.

Which version of Boost is BH using? The problems bubbling
up from some of the Boost sequence tools.

I could try simplifying that grammar rule's recursion and
see if that helps. It's one that got added a while ago with
the new ODE expressions.

Otherwise, I'm not sure how to recreate the problem.

- Bob
> --
> <error.txt>

Daniel Lee

Jun 17, 2016, 2:49:35 PM6/17/16
to stan-dev mailing list
Ben, did you add the -DFUSION_MAX_VECTOR_SIZE=12 arg to the build? I didn't see it in the output.

Bob Carpenter

Jun 17, 2016, 2:50:48 PM6/17/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Good memory! That's probably it as this revolves around vector
processing templates in Boost.

- Bob

Ben Goodrich

Jun 17, 2016, 3:33:19 PM6/17/16
On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 2:50:48 PM UTC-4, Bob Carpenter wrote:
Good memory!  That's probably it as this revolves around vector
processing templates in Boost.

OK. That fixed it on Windows and it has been working on Travis for OSX. I still get

https://github.com/stan-dev/rstan/issues/298

on Linux with clang++-3.8.

Ben

> On Jun 17, 2016, at 2:49 PM, Daniel Lee <bea...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> Ben, did you add the -DFUSION_MAX_VECTOR_SIZE=12 arg to the build? I didn't see it in the output.
>
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 2:43 PM, Bob Carpenter <ca...@alias-i.com> wrote:
> Thanks.  That's not happening under any of our other builds
> and the error path doesn't ring any bells.
>
> Which version of Boost is BH using?  The problems bubbling
> up from some of the Boost sequence tools.
>
> I could try simplifying that grammar rule's recursion and
> see if that helps.  It's one that got added a while ago with
> the new ODE expressions.
>
> Otherwise, I'm not sure how to recreate the problem.
>
> - Bob
>
> > On Jun 17, 2016, at 2:20 PM, Ben Goodrich <goodri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 2:11:12 PM UTC-4, Ben Goodrich wrote:
> > I am getting a compiler error on Windows. See the bottom of
> >
> > http://win-builder.r-project.org/u7zD08v4zXW4/00install.out
> >
> > Ring any bells?
> >
> > Attached is the slightly different error from clang++-3.8.
> >
> > Ben

Bob Carpenter

Jun 17, 2016, 4:08:54 PM6/17/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
I just commented on the issue. We can remove the offending lines
in rethrow_located and default to more generic behavior for that
one type of exception. No big deal.

- Bob
> > > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to stan-dev+u...@googlegroups.com.
> > > <error.txt>

Ben Goodrich

Jun 17, 2016, 4:23:13 PM6/17/16
On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 4:08:54 PM UTC-4, Bob Carpenter wrote:
I just commented on the issue.  We can remove the offending lines
in rethrow_located and default to more generic behavior for that
one type of exception.  No big deal.

I will try that. At the moment, I am now getting a parser error from the rstanarm models that I don't understand:

SYNTAX ERROR, MESSAGE(S) FROM PARSER:

ERROR at line
301

299:      real ll_bern_lp(vector eta0, vector eta1, int link, int[] N) {

300:        if (link == 1) { // logit

301:          target += logistic_lccdf(eta0, 0, 1);

^

302:          target += logistic_lcdf(eta1, 0, 1);

PARSER EXPECTED
: <probability function arguments>
Error in stanc(model_code = paste(program, collapse = "\n"), model_name = model_cppname,  :
  failed to parse
Stan model 'bernoulli' due to the above error.

What is the syntax supposed to be these days?

Ben

Ben Goodrich

Jun 17, 2016, 6:45:24 PM6/17/16
to stan development mailing list
On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 4:08:54 PM UTC-4, Bob Carpenter wrote:
I just commented on the issue.  We can remove the offending lines
in rethrow_located and default to more generic behavior for that
one type of exception.  No big deal.

That works, but I still can't parse Stan programs with the new syntax.

Ben

Ben Goodrich

Jun 18, 2016, 11:33:24 AM6/18/16
to stan development mailing list

target += logistic_lccdf(eta0 | 0, 1)

also fails. I don't think a parser error that says "PARSER EXPECTED: <probability function arguments>" is very informative.

Ben

Bob Carpenter

Jun 18, 2016, 5:15:32 PM6/18/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Can you send me the whole program? I tried to recreate
with this:

functions {
void foo_lp(real eta) {
target += logistic_lccdf(eta | 0, 1);
}
}
parameters {
real eta0;
}
model {
foo_lp(eta0);
}

and it compiles fine on my machine.

It's easy to add more information to the error message and I'm
open to suggestions.

What it's looking for is expression, then optionally a vertical
bar and then a sequence of further expressions separated by commas:

expression
| expression '|' (expression % ','))

where (expression % ',') indicates 1 or more expressions separated
by commas.

- Bob