Stan 3 refactor update?

Allen B. Riddell

Oct 20, 2015, 5:23:24 AM10/20/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'll have some more time starting in a week or two and would love to
work on the Stan 3 Interfaces refactor. The main documentation for the
refactor is here, I believe:

- https://github.com/stan-dev/stan/wiki/User-Interface-Guidelines-for-Developers
- https://github.com/stan-dev/stan/wiki/Stan-Cpp-API-Refactor

Has much progress been made on the C++ refactor? I had been keeping my
eye on #1361 (https://github.com/stan-dev/stan/issues/1361) but I sense
that activity might have moved elsewhere as well?

Thanks,

Allen

Daniel Lee

Oct 28, 2015, 8:56:53 AM10/28/15
to stan-dev mailing list
Hi Allen,

Sorry about not getting back sooner to you on this.

I'm splitting things in #1361 into multiple pull requests. There are multiple reasons for it:
1. Less error prone. I'm just stumbling into minor bugs with the implementation. It's almost there on that branch, but lots of little problems.
2. I think we all think this is a good idea. This will allow the changes to propagate now and we can see the effect of it instead of having to merge the whole thing at once and hope that it works ok.
3. Much less complexity to think about when merging. GitHub looks a little broken now with its pull requests and file diffs. It's not tracking files through git moves. I'm trying to knock the 140+ file diff down to something manageable each time, say around 10. Or... if there are many file diffs, that it's an easy diff where it's clear what's changed.

On the PyStan front, what would help a lot is if you were able to get it building on travis-ci without failures:
https://travis-ci.org/stan-dev/pystan
I can understand the code well enough on CmdStan, RStan, and PyStan to keep this updated with pull requests, but I have trouble keeping up the toolchain required to build RStan and PyStan. If you can get that in a stable state with enough tests to keep you satisfied that it'll work, I can keep creating pull requests as I work through #1361.

Regarding where the activity has gone:
- #1601. Closed. Removing old writers.
- #1602. Just closed. Only the implementation of the new writers.
- #1616. Still open. #1361 moved some of the services around (namespace and file location). I'm working on this now.
- ... I've been opening up new issues as I go along.

#1361 still has the reference implementation.

Daniel