Test for multiple translation units

Daniel Lee

Jul 27, 2016, 10:19:57 AM7/27/16
to stan-dev mailing list, Ryan Giordano
Hi Ryan,

I realized we didn't add a new test to the math library to check that it will continue to compile for multiple translation units. Mind passing along what your use case? (It's probably in one of my old emails, but it's essentially lost...)

I'll set up a test so we continue to check that it works.

Daniel

Ryan Giordano

Jul 27, 2016, 10:53:49 AM7/27/16
to Daniel Lee, stan-dev mailing list
Hi Daniel,

That's a great idea.  I think the best minimal example is described in the issue and also in this simple repo.  I'll be interested to see how you set this test up.  Let me know if there's any way I can help.

Ryan

Ryan Giordano

Jul 27, 2016, 11:09:50 AM7/27/16
to Daniel Lee, stan-dev mailing list
For what it's worth, my actual use case was to instantiate templated functions (e.g. likelihood evaluations) for the stan types in shared libraries to reduce compile time while iterating on other more superficial aspects of the model.  Actually reproducing this use case in a test seems unnecessary since the whole problem can be reproduced with the above much simpler example.