shinyBS breaks shinyStan (fixed, kind of)

Jonah

Mar 17, 2015, 8:37:47 PM3/17/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
If you know anyone who recently installed shinyStan and is having issues with the customization/options panels please point them to the troubleshooting page of the shinyStan repo on GitHub. I just updated it with a temporary fix for the following really frustrating problem:

The author of the shinyBS package (one of the packages shinyStan depends on) made a bunch of small changes directly in what had been the stable branch of shinyBS on GitHub instead of testing those changes in feature and bugfix branches. Of course one of those changes (or several of them, I'm not sure yet) seems to cause some serious problems for shinyStan including 1) preventing some of the collapsible panels from opening and closing properly and 2) changing the background and text colors for those collapsible panels that do open in such a way that the text isn't really visible anymore.

Of course he also doesn't really use pull requests so I had to comb through his commit history until I found the most recent one that doesn't cause these issues. I still need to go through his changes in detail to figure out exactly what's causing the problem, but for the time being I've changed the install_shinystan.R file in the shinyStan develop branch so that it installs shinyBS using that commit I found as the git reference.

Unfortunately anyone who installed shinyStan between last week and a few hours ago when I changed the install_shinystan file would have also installed the new changes to shinyBS and so shinyStan probably isn't fully functional for them (although they might just think it's designed poorly).

Anyway, to avoid these problems going forward I'm seriously considering severing ties (so to speak) with shinyBS for future versions of shinyStan, but it would require writing a ton of extra code.

Krzysztof Sakrejda

Mar 17, 2015, 8:53:38 PM3/17/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Why not fork the github repo and update irregularly (when you have time or need it to follow Shiny itself)?

Krzysztof

Bob Carpenter

Mar 17, 2015, 8:59:23 PM3/17/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
All things being equal, fewer dependencies are better.

Of course, things are never equal, as much as I like
saying "ceteris paribus."

- Bob

Jonah

Mar 17, 2015, 9:03:19 PM3/17/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, March 17, 2015 at 8:53:38 PM UTC-4, Krzysztof Sakrejda wrote:
> Why not fork the github repo and update irregularly (when you have time or need it to follow Shiny itself)?

Do you mean fork the shinyBS repo, revert back to the commit I need for shinyStan to work, and then have the install_shinystan function install shinyBS directly from my fork?

Krzysztof Sakrejda

Mar 17, 2015, 9:07:17 PM3/17/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Yep. You just need basic functionality not the latest greatest. K

Jonah

Mar 17, 2015, 9:12:38 PM3/17/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Yeah that's a good idea. I'll probably do that for the time being until either those issues get resolved or I no longer need it.

Thanks

Bob Carpenter

Mar 17, 2015, 11:40:23 PM3/17/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
> On Mar 18, 2015, at 1:28 PM, Jonah Sol Gabry <jsg...@columbia.edu> wrote:
>
> ... can we add a shinyStan tag to the list of approved tags for stan-users posts?

This kind of e-mail should go to stan-dev.

I just added the tag. I hadn't even realized there were tags.
I just read it all through e-mail.

This kind of e-mail should go to stan-dev with appropriate
subject.

I don't want everything just coming to me personally even though
I tend to be the fastest to respond --- it's a vicious circle I'd
like to break.

- Bob

Jonah Sol Gabry

Mar 17, 2015, 11:54:11 PM3/17/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 11:39 PM, Bob Carpenter <ca...@alias-i.com> wrote:

This kind of e-mail should go to stan-dev with appropriate
subject.

I don't want everything just coming to me personally even though
I tend to be the fastest to respond --- it's a vicious circle I'd
like to break.

Thanks Bob. You're right. I will absolutely go to stan-dev with this sort of thing from now on.

Jonah

Daniel Lee

Mar 17, 2015, 11:55:49 PM3/17/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
You beat me to it.

And yes, shoot these sorts of emails to stan dev.