Conference workshop inquiry

Krzysztof Sakrejda

Feb 4, 2016, 11:06:11 AM2/4/16
to stan development mailing list
Dustin and I received this inquiry from Sheamus McGovern of the Open Data Science Conference (odsc.com). Looks like the conference is May 20th-22nd and they would be interested in a Stan presenter. Have you guys done these kinds of conferences before? Any interest in doing this one?

----
I help run various meetups and community conferences in data sciences called the Open Data Science Conference. We had two very well attended events last year and our next event is in Boston at the end of May which we hope will attract 2,500 attendees.

We recently held a meetup for Richard TIbbetts on BayesDB and Richard mentioned that STAN would be a great addition to our conference. We'd love to discuss doing a talk or short workshop if that was possible.
----

Eric Novik

Feb 4, 2016, 11:54:08 AM2/4/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for letting us know. Richard and I used to work for TIBCO not too long ago and he attended Daniel's Stan talk at the Machine Learning meetup in New York.

This seems like a good conference for us. If the focus can be on the application of Stan rather than internals, I would be up for doing it.

Bob Carpenter

Feb 4, 2016, 2:33:53 PM2/4/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
That sounds huge. I wonder who attends.

There's one coming up in NY in June, too.

We have lots of tutorial material prepared in LaTeX slide
format. I'm happy to share the source.

- Bob

Krzysztof Sakrejda

Feb 4, 2016, 6:22:20 PM2/4/16
On Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 11:54:08 AM UTC-5, Eric Novik wrote:
> Thanks for letting us know. Richard and I used to work for TIBCO not too long ago and he attended Daniel's Stan talk at the Machine Learning meetup in New York.
>
> This seems like a good conference for us. If the focus can be on the application of Stan rather than internals, I would be up for doing it.

It seems like an application/capabilities sort of conference.