command.hpp refactor and bbvb

Alp Kucukelbir

Jun 18, 2015, 11:54:22 AM6/18/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
hi folks,

dustin and i are eager to continue working on
even more experimental extensions of advi,
some of which we may or may not want to
include into Stan proper.

as such, it would be really convenient for us
to merge feature/bbvb into develop and then
create smaller, self-contained branches off of
develop for each of the new things we want to try.

dustin and i just looked at the command.hpp move
to cmdStan. we can update that branch with
the additional lines required for advi. (it's self
contained; a trivial modification.)

how should we proceed with this? could we
merge feature/bbvb before the command.hpp move
or is that a bad idea?

cheers
alp

Bob Carpenter

Jun 18, 2015, 1:17:20 PM6/18/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
This doesn't answer your question, but you can always
branch directly from the advi branch for now.

- Bob

Dustin Tran

Jun 18, 2015, 11:49:05 PM6/18/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Is there any current holdup on merging feature/bbvb to develop? I’m working on some extensions using local commits for now, which is fine with me. If it’s merged earlier than the command.hpp move, then I can make the required modifications to those two pull requests (both for cmdstan and stan).

Dustin

Bob Carpenter

Jun 19, 2015, 3:32:04 PM6/19/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
I just asked Daniel and I think we're ready to go for 2.7
with feature/bbvb. As a rule, we only merge a branch into
develop if we think it's ready for release.

Thanks for all the hard work on this! I read the paper
and I'm totally psyched to see it work.

- Bob

Ben Goodrich

Jun 19, 2015, 3:35:34 PM6/19/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com, ca...@alias-i.com
Was there a decision about enabling it in RStan / PyStan or is it still considered so experimental that it should only be used from CmdStan?

Bob Carpenter

Jun 19, 2015, 3:49:04 PM6/19/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
I think we should enable it whenever you guys get the
chance. But it doesn't need to be done for 2.7.0. Alp
already wrote it so it ran in CmdStan, so that was done
along with the basic functionality, I think.

- Bob