Using Non-Tagged Math Libraries

Michael Betancourt

Jul 22, 2015, 11:49:52 AM7/22/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
In CmdStan the stan subrepo is just named stan and it’s
easy to update the repo to any version of the repository.
But in stan the math library is explicitly named with a tag
— given that it’s just a subrepo it doesn’t prevent one from
using a different version than the tag, but it seems like it’ll
be confusing.

What should be the established policy for using CmdStan
or stan with an updated math library?

Daniel Lee

Jul 22, 2015, 12:56:47 PM7/22/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Good question. I've been pushing back thinking about that question until we actually ran into the problem.

I think making a little script that will update the folder location, makefile, etc. would be good. Just haven't had a need to do it yet. Should we call the next version something else? Or develop?

Daniel

Michael Betancourt

Jul 22, 2015, 5:05:23 PM7/22/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
I’m just worried about confusion with the explicit version name in the
folder.  Say I update the math library with changes needed in stan —
the stan pull request will have an updated version of the math
library, but the subrepo will still be named after the deprecated
tagged version.  If we end up pushing all of the dependencies into
math then I’d recommend just calling it “stan_math” and drop the
explicit version name.

Daniel Lee

Jul 25, 2015, 11:58:51 AM7/25/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
How about this?
- when we tag it, it'll be labeled with a version. Anyone that downloads the release tarball will have a tagged version.
- otherwise, the develop branch will always point to lib/stan_math and it will stay there until we tag. This will come with the appropriate makefile changes, etc.

I can automate that for releases and hopefully that'll reduce the confusion. I agree that there is confusion now.

Daniel

Daniel Lee

Jul 25, 2015, 11:59:23 AM7/25/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
If there are no objections, I'll create a pull request for this on Monday.

Daniel

Bob Carpenter

Jul 25, 2015, 4:03:47 PM7/25/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good to me.

Don't we just update Stan math the same way as we updated
Stan itself from within CmdStan?

I'm not sure what I was supposed to be confused about.

- Bob

Ben Goodrich

Aug 2, 2015, 10:58:23 PM8/2/15
to stan development mailing list
On Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 11:58:51 AM UTC-4, Daniel Lee wrote:
How about this?
- when we tag it, it'll be labeled with a version. Anyone that downloads the release tarball will have a tagged version.
- otherwise, the develop branch will always point to lib/stan_math and it will stay there until we tag. This will come with the appropriate makefile changes, etc.

I can automate that for releases and hopefully that'll reduce the confusion. I agree that there is confusion now.

The CmdStan interface is currently broken for a fresh checkout because line 31 of the makefile is still

MATH  ?= $(STANAPI_HOME)lib/stan_math_2.7.0

but stan/lib/stan_math_2.7.0 is empty because make stan-update populates stan/lib/stan_math

Ben

Daniel Lee

Aug 2, 2015, 11:02:56 PM8/2/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben,

I'll have that fixed tomorrow with a pull request for #142. It'll be fixed asap, but technically CmdStan is not currently broken. CmdStan still points to an older version of Stan which points to an older version of Stan Math. That's the last consistent state of CmdStan.

Daniel

Daniel Lee

Aug 2, 2015, 11:49:33 PM8/2/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com