Fwd: transitions

Andrew Gelman

Aug 26, 2016, 10:02:04 PM8/26/16
to stan development mailing list
Hi all.  See below.  This is for our ONR grant on informative priors, but I think we can include just about anything Stan-related.  Can you plz help with some examples?  If we can give them 50 examples of Stan being used, that would be great!  (ONR is funding us in various ways so we'd like to be helpful to them.)
Thx

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Neskovic, Predrag CIV ONR, 31" <predrag....@navy.mil>
Subject: transitions
Date: August 26, 2016 at 1:31:54 PM EDT
To: "Neskovic, Predrag CIV ONR, 31" <predrag....@navy.mil>

Dear PIs,

It's that time of the year again to collect transitions. If you had transitions over the last year, please fill out the attached form and send it back to me. If you are not sure what qualifies as “transition" please feel free to contact me. For example, if there is a company or an agency (e.g. NGA) that is using some of your results (e.g. software or an algorithm) that you have developed, that would qualify as transition. The company/agency does not have to pay you for the use of that software/algorithm.

Demonstrating impact of this program is extremely important for the continuation of the program. Your help is therefore highly appreciated.

Please provide your inputs by September 10.

Thanks,

Pedja

Predrag (Pedja) Neskovic
Program Officer
Mathematical Data Science and
Computational Methods for Decision Making
Office of Naval Research
875 N. Randolph Street
Arlington, VA 22203
☎: 703-696-4304
Transition Report Form.doc

Michael Betancourt

Aug 27, 2016, 1:23:23 AM8/27/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
A,

Did you mean to send this to the User’s List, or did you
want to limit it to developers?

I have heard of various companies using Stan off the
record, but nothing that I could include here.  There are,
however, plenty of academic use cases that we could
include if that counts.

Bob Carpenter

Aug 27, 2016, 7:01:18 AM8/27/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Michael raises a good question---is the list going to be
publicly released?

Should this include non-pharama uses of Stan or uses before
the ONR grant started?

- Bob

Bob Carpenter

Aug 27, 2016, 7:39:18 AM8/27/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Here's more than a dozen public citations using Stan with authors
affiliated with companies. I found these on Google using
search ["mc-stan.org" pharamcology pk/pd]

Novartis (Switzerland)
* http://www.page-meeting.org/?abstract=3200

Novartis (New Jersey)
* http://andrewgelman.com/2015/10/05/pmxstan-an-r-package-to-facilitate-bayesian-pkpd-modeling-with-stan/

Quantitative Solutions, LP (California)
* http://www.page-meeting.org/?abstract=3605

Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Children’s National Medical Center (Washington, DC)
* http://www.page-meeting.org/?abstract=3605

Sanofi (Massachussetts)
* http://www.page-meeting.org/?abstract=5972
* http://www.page-meeting.org/pdf_assets/9034-PAGE_2016_SD_Final.pdf

Merck (Switzerland)
* http://www.page-meeting.org/pdf_assets/10000-SwatTerranova_PharmML_SO_poster_PAGE2016.pdf

Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris (France)
* http://www.page-meeting.org/pdf_assets/3337-JB_PAGE_2015_alternative.pdf

ICON (California) [if you count the ideas as well as the software]
* http://www.page-meeting.org/pdf_assets/473-nonmem_pdxpop_poster_board5.pdf

Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (Switzerland)
* http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4335872/

Public Health Research Institute Center (New Jersey)
* http://europepmc.org/articles/PMC4335872

Liaison Psychiatry Service, Cambridge and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust (UK)
* http://www.jneurosci.org/content/34/22/7663.full

Wolfson Brain Imaging Centre, Addenbrooke's Hospital (UK)
* http://www.jneurosci.org/content/34/22/7663.full

Hinrichsen Environmental Services (Washington)
* http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00028487.2013.788553

Bonneville Power Administration (Oregon)
* http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00028487.2013.788553

The following is fisheries, which may also be of interest to
ONR---it's a dynamics model if not one based on diff eqs:

Biodiversity and Climate Research Centre (Germany)
* http://www.cell.com/trends/ecology-evolution/pdf/S0169-5347(15)00240-2.pdf

- Bob

Krzysztof Sakrejda

Aug 27, 2016, 8:09:22 AM8/27/16
to stan development mailing list
On Saturday, August 27, 2016 at 7:39:18 AM UTC-4, Bob Carpenter wrote:
[snip]>
> Hinrichsen Environmental Services (Washington)
> * http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00028487.2013.788553
>
> Bonneville Power Administration (Oregon)
> * http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00028487.2013.788553

The two above are fisheries too!

Andrew Gelman

Aug 27, 2016, 5:37:31 PM8/27/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Since we're sending the list to the government, I think we should assume it will be public.

Also, it's not for the pharma grant (at least, I don't think so). I think it's for our other grant, on informative priors, which we'll be using to fund part of Michael. But I think anything Stan related would be relevant.

Michael Betancourt

Aug 27, 2016, 6:44:07 PM8/27/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
But projects associated with the dev team or anyone
who is using Stan? In the latter case I’d recommend
sending the same message to the Users’ List.