merging namespaces: agrad, math, prob

Bob Carpenter

May 10, 2015, 2:48:12 PM5/10/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com

> On May 10, 2015, at 2:42 PM, Daniel Lee <bea...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> https://github.com/stan-dev/stan/pull/1445

Daniel just went through and created a patch to merge
the following namespaces:

stan::agrad
stan::math
stan::prob

I think it's a good idea but just wanted to make sure everyone
was aware this was going down before merging in case there
was a last-minute objection.

The goal's to reduce using statements in the code and simplify
argument-dependent lookup. And just make everything cleaner for
users who won't have to remember three different namespaces.

The only downside is that we can't have two different functions
in these namespaces with the same name. But we hadn't done that so
far.

- Bob

Robert Trangucci

May 10, 2015, 3:21:42 PM5/10/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
There might be one function that'll have a problem with this change: finite_diff_hessian. I believe there's a math and an agrad version with the same signature.

Rob

Daniel Lee

May 10, 2015, 3:40:56 PM5/10/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com

Oh yeah. I changed the name of one of them. Let me make sure that's consistent.

Rob, suggestions on names? It does cause a conflict.

Bob Carpenter

May 11, 2015, 12:13:14 PM5/11/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Shouldn't we only have a single implementation of finite_diff_hessian?

- Bob