RStan/PyStan ADVI status + documentation

Alp Kucukelbir

Nov 25, 2015, 11:42:25 AM11/25/15
to stan development mailing list
hi ben, allen, &co.

friendly ping: anything i can help with ADVI RStan/PyStan integration?

i should provide documentation/instructions. pointer would be welcome.

thanks so much guys.

cheers
alp

Ben Goodrich

Nov 25, 2015, 11:49:05 AM11/25/15
to stan development mailing list
I'm going to work on it over the break. I think it should not be too difficult to re-enable it since it was enabled for a few weeks. If you know offhand what in the C++ is now incompatible with how the adapt_eta branch stood on September 3

https://github.com/stan-dev/rstan/compare/feature/adapt-eta

let me know. Otherwise, I'm sure I'll discover it.

Ben

Alp Kucukelbir

Nov 25, 2015, 11:55:18 AM11/25/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
hi ben,

(can i make a pull request out of that branch so that i can provide
some line comments?)

a few things are simpler now. (eta is just a double, no strings nonsense).

the new parameters structure mirrors that of NUTS:

adapt
Eta Adaptation for Variational Inference
Valid subarguments: engaged, iter

engaged=<boolean>
Adaptation engaged?
Valid values: [0, 1]
Defaults to 1

iter=<int>
Number of iterations for eta adaptation
Valid values: 0 < iter
Defaults to 50

if the timing is bad for you, i can also take a shot at pushing some
of these changes to that branch myself.

in any case, i'll try to update the stan/cmdstan manuals today to make
everyone's life easier.

thanks so much ben.

cheers
alp

Ben Goodrich

Nov 25, 2015, 12:25:19 PM11/25/15
On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 at 11:55:18 AM UTC-5, Alp Kucukelbir wrote:
(can i make a pull request out of that branch so that i can provide
some line comments?)

Let me give it a shot first. That branch is out of date due to non-ADVI changes in rstan and Lib / Math since then that I'll probably have to manage.

Ben

Alp Kucukelbir

Nov 25, 2015, 12:58:01 PM11/25/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
roger. do let me know how i can help!

@allen: how about PyStan? can i help there?

cheers
alp

Daniel Lee

Nov 25, 2015, 1:36:31 PM11/25/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Ben, I should be able to set that up.

I'm still struggling with the python build, but hopefully we can resolve that at some point soon.

Alp Kucukelbir

Nov 25, 2015, 5:33:30 PM11/25/15
to stan development mailing list
documentation for cmdStan + Stan: done.

Bob Carpenter

Nov 25, 2015, 8:18:30 PM11/25/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks --- that looks good and I'm just waiting on
whatever's up with Travis to merge it.

- Bob

> On Nov 25, 2015, at 5:33 PM, Alp Kucukelbir <akucu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> documentation for cmdStan + Stan: done.

Allen B. Riddell

Nov 25, 2015, 10:15:24 PM11/25/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alp,

It's probably easiest if I just mirror the implementation from RStan
once that's finished. (I'd welcome a reminder whenever ADVI is working in
RStan.)

Best,

Allen
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "stan development mailing list" group.

Alp Kucukelbir

Nov 25, 2015, 10:18:42 PM11/25/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
hi allen,

okay sounds great! let me know if i can help. i'll definitely ping you
and keep you updated.

cheers
alp

Rob J. Goedman

Nov 27, 2015, 5:13:48 PM11/27/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alp & Allen,

For Julia (Stan.jl) I was thinking to do the same, if possible. It is still too early to attempt a pure C++ interface, maybe once Julia 0.5 comes around.

For Julia 0.4.x I just read the output files. A few folks seem ok with that approach.

Regards,
Rob