stopping RStan in parallel mode?

Bob Carpenter

Sep 4, 2016, 4:08:19 PM9/4/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Does interrupting sampling work when running in parallel?
I can't seem to get a wayward sampler to stop.

- Bob

Ben Goodrich

Sep 4, 2016, 4:44:12 PM9/4/16
to stan development mailing list
On Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 4:08:19 PM UTC-4, Bob Carpenter wrote:
Does interrupting sampling work when running in parallel?
I can't seem to get a wayward sampler to stop.

Not from RStudio, which seems to catch interrupts and do something different with them. You can call

system("killall R")

from RStudio to kill all of the R sessions except the one being run by RStudio.

Ben

Bob Carpenter

Sep 4, 2016, 4:50:18 PM9/4/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
I'm running R in the bash terminal. Will that
work there, too?

- Bob

Ben Goodrich

Sep 4, 2016, 5:04:57 PM9/4/16
On Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 4:50:18 PM UTC-4, Bob Carpenter wrote:
I'm running R in the bash terminal.  Will that
work there, too?

Maybe. You can definitely kill a particular process ID. But I was under the impression that interrupting in the terminal would cause child processes to stop. It does in Linux at least.

Ben