stan usage/download statistics

Alp Kucukelbir

Nov 11, 2015, 8:57:03 AM11/11/15
to stan development mailing list
hi stan-dev,

i'm curious: do we have a central record (or statistical summary) of stan usage? e.g.: how many downloads to date, how many users, how many publications, etc.?

i'd like to use some of those numbers in my upcoming talks.

cheers
alp

Ben Goodrich

Nov 11, 2015, 9:30:35 AM11/11/15
On Wednesday, November 11, 2015 at 8:57:03 AM UTC-5, Alp Kucukelbir wrote:
i'm curious: do we have a central record (or statistical summary) of stan usage? e.g.: how many downloads to date, how many users, how many publications, etc.?

i'd like to use some of those numbers in my upcoming talks.

I'm sure we could count up the number of publications, but I don't know it offhand. There are currently about 1400 people registered for stan-users. Downloads is pretty much unknowable because it is against CRAN policy to track downloads of rstan. The number of people who have forked one or more of the Stan-related repos on GitHub is becoming a good indicator of the amount of developer interest.

Ben

Michael Betancourt

Nov 11, 2015, 10:18:31 AM11/11/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
In addition to the interfaces making it hard to infer downloads, GitHub itself
doesn’t supply much information so you have to piece a reasonable estimate
together from a bunch of disparate information.

From Github we have rolling estimates of clones and forks,
unique clones every week (no idea which uses are cloning hundreds of
times!).

Then there’s the API routes which gives us download stats for
our releases.  The best number there is probably the manual, in particular
the v2.8 manual has been downloaded over 5000 times (not necessarily
unique users).

Finally Pypi does provide download info at https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pystan,
with almost 6000 PyStan downloads in the past month.

Oh, and the mc-stan.org website gets over 5000 unique users every few weeks,
50% of which are new.

Taking into account duplicate downloads and users who are just experimenting,
I think it’s safe to say that we have over 10,000 active users and I wouldn’t be
surprised if we’re closer to 50,000.

Alp Kucukelbir

Nov 11, 2015, 4:55:38 PM11/11/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
thanks ben and michael; genuinely amazing numbers! awesome!
> Google Groups "stan development mailing list" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/stan-dev/AxPpz803_K0/unsubscribe.

Dustin Tran

Nov 11, 2015, 8:08:43 PM11/11/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Wow, I’m surprised if we can even say 50,000 people have heard of Stan.

Dustin

Andrew Gelman

Nov 11, 2015, 8:18:34 PM11/11/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
We were thinking of blowing our entire Sloan Foundation grant on a series of Super Bowl ads.  Then everyone will have heard of us!

Dustin Tran

Nov 11, 2015, 8:20:18 PM11/11/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
+1 I’ll contribute negative dollars for this

Dustin