stan-dev@googlegroups.com vs stan-core@googlegroups.com

Daniel Lee

Jun 18, 2015, 8:47:36 PM6/18/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
We have two email lists (3 if you include stan-users). They have different permissions and serve slightly different purposes.

stan...@googlegroups.com:
- purpose: discussions about the development of Stan (this is really broadly defined)
- all emails are public and archived. The archive is also public.
- anyone is allowed to subscribe to the list
- anyone is able to browse through the history
- only people we allow are allowed to email the list. The have to be members of the list in order to post. (we're fairly liberal about who's allowed to post, but they have to care enough to ask us for permission)

- purpose: any discussion that is relevant to the people at the core of Stan, but mostly for private discussions or discussions with people that are not on the stan-dev list
- all emails are private and archived. The archive is available to current members.
- only people we allow are allowed to subscribe to the list
- only people we allow are able to browse the history
- anyone is allowed to email the list, even if they're not members

Andrew, if you want external people to participate on a discussion, it might be easier to send the discussion to stan...@googlegroups.com.

If anyone wants to change the permissions, we can discuss. I think it's worked out well for us so far, except for the few instances where we want external participants.

Daniel