Discourse: email to start new topics

Daniel Lee

Aug 17, 2016, 8:07:51 PM8/17/16
to stan-dev mailing list
Hi all,

I've gotten our discourse instance to start topics via email. You can email stan...@mc-stan.org to start a new thread. It needs to come from the email address associated with your discourse account for it to work. I've tested that it bounces emails from other email addresses.

There are actually two emails you can email to start threads. The first is:
- stan...@mc-stan.org. This forwards to the second address.

Any email will drop a new topic into the Developers category: http://discourse.mc-stan.org/c/stan-dev

Does everyone have accounts? If you sign up for notifications, you should be able to start and reply to topics and it'll feel like the current setup.

Daniel

Daniel Lee

Aug 17, 2016, 8:32:45 PM8/17/16
to stan-dev mailing list
Looks like there are some problems with the first email I used. Start by using this email: mc_stan+stan-dev@discoursemail.com

I'll let you know when we don't have problems with the other email address.

Daniel

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 8:07 PM, Daniel Lee <bea...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
Hi all,

I've gotten our discourse instance to start topics via email. You can email stan...@mc-stan.org to start a new thread. It needs to come from the email address associated with your discourse account for it to work. I've tested that it bounces emails from other email addresses.

There are actually two emails you can email to start threads. The first is:
- stan...@mc-stan.org. This forwards to the second address.

Allen Riddell

Aug 18, 2016, 9:09:22 AM8/18/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
What happens (or what should happen) if someone emails in who doesn't
have an account?

On 08/17/2016 08:32 PM, Daniel Lee wrote:
> Looks like there are some problems with the first email I used. Start by
> using this email: mc_stan+...@discoursemail.com
> <mailto:mc_stan%2Bsta...@discoursemail.com>
>
> I'll let you know when we don't have problems with the other email address.
>

> Daniel
>

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 8:07 PM, Daniel Lee <bea...@alum.mit.edu
> <mailto:bea...@alum.mit.edu>> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I've gotten our discourse instance to start topics via email. You
> can email stan...@mc-stan.org <mailto:stan...@mc-stan.org> to
> start a new thread. It needs to come from the email address
> associated with your discourse account for it to work. I've tested
> that it bounces emails from other email addresses.
>
> There are actually two emails you can email to start threads. The
> first is:
> - stan...@mc-stan.org <mailto:stan...@mc-stan.org>. This forwards
> to the second address.
> - mc_stan+...@discoursemail.com
> <mailto:mc_stan%2Bsta...@discoursemail.com>
>
> Any email will drop a new topic into the Developers
> category: http://discourse.mc-stan.org/c/stan-dev
> <http://discourse.mc-stan.org/c/stan-dev>
>
> Does everyone have accounts? If you sign up for notifications, you
> should be able to start and reply to topics and it'll feel like the
> current setup.
>

> Daniel

Daniel Lee

Aug 18, 2016, 9:33:28 AM8/18/16
to stan-dev mailing list
You'll get a message that it bounced back. It looks like the forwarded email below. My gmail account isn't registered on discourse.

None of the destination email addresses are recognized. Please make sure that you are sending to the correct email address provided by staff.

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 9:09 AM, Allen Riddell <ridd...@fastmail.com> wrote:
What happens (or what should happen) if someone emails in who doesn't
have an account?

On 08/17/2016 08:32 PM, Daniel Lee wrote:
> Looks like there are some problems with the first email I used. Start by

> I'll let you know when we don't have problems with the other email address.
>

> Daniel
>

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 8:07 PM, Daniel Lee <bea...@alum.mit.edu
> <mailto:bea...@alum.mit.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     I've gotten our discourse instance to start topics via email. You
>     can email stan...@mc-stan.org <mailto:stan...@mc-stan.org> to
>     start a new thread. It needs to come from the email address
>     associated with your discourse account for it to work. I've tested
>     that it bounces emails from other email addresses.
>
>     There are actually two emails you can email to start threads. The
>     first is:
>     - stan...@mc-stan.org <mailto:stan...@mc-stan.org>. This forwards
>     to the second address.
>     - mc_stan+stan-dev@discoursemail.com
>     <mailto:mc_stan%2Bstan-dev@discoursemail.com>

>     Any email will drop a new topic into the Developers
>     category: http://discourse.mc-stan.org/c/stan-dev
>     <http://discourse.mc-stan.org/c/stan-dev>
>
>     Does everyone have accounts? If you sign up for notifications, you
>     should be able to start and reply to topics and it'll feel like the
>     current setup.
>

>     Daniel

Allen Riddell

Aug 18, 2016, 11:41:47 AM8/18/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.

On this subject, I'll mention "mailing list mode" which might be of
interest to people who would like to preserve the mailing list experience.

You just have to check "Mailing list mode" in your user preferences and
you'll get an email (and can respond via email) with each new post.

Here are some more details:

Best,

Allen