I need some help with Stan Math

Daniel Lee

Nov 7, 2015, 11:40:15 AM11/7/15
to stan-dev mailing list
I don't have time to hunt this down right now, but this test fails sporadically.

test/unit/math/mix/mat/fun/mdivide_right_spd_test.cpp

[ RUN      ] AgradMixMatrixMdivideRightSPD.fv_exceptions
test/unit/math/mix/mat/fun/mdivide_right_spd_test.cpp:521: Failure
Expected: mdivide_right_spd(rvf2, fd2) throws an exception of type std::domain_error.
  Actual: it throws nothing.
[  FAILED  ] AgradMixMatrixMdivideRightSPD.fv_exceptions (1 ms)

http://d1m1s1b1.stat.columbia.edu:8080/job/Math%20Pull%20Request%20-%20Tests%20-%20Unit/166/consoleFull

Can someone help me hunt this down? I haven't looked at the test or code and if it's breaking sporadically without changes to the code base, my guess is that we haven't initialized something properly and we're getting different behavior based on state of the machine.

I've run the compiled test on the machine and it runs fine.

If someone's taking it, could you let me know? If not, I'll try to get to it tonight.

Daniel

Daniel Lee

Nov 7, 2015, 11:32:06 PM11/7/15
to stan-dev mailing list
I just initialized variables to zero. Hopefully that works.

I think someone suggested us turning on compiler directives to take care of it for us, but I don't think that's really the way to go. I set these by hand.

I'm hoping it works.

Daniel

Bob Carpenter

Nov 8, 2015, 2:03:49 AM11/8/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
I believe this was the same test that was causing problems for
the Intel compiler and wasn't it already solved by initializating?

I think everything should be initialized for math tests because
uninitialized is undefined behavior.

- Bob