maximum steps exception with odeint

Sebastian Weber

Oct 12, 2015, 3:49:20 PM10/12/15
to stan development mailing list
Hi Bob!

You are right in that it´s probably better to continue here. The new max_step_exception branch in the odeint-v2 repository does throw an exception - so it is exactly the same as if the ode system functor were to throw an exception. I think you should decide for whatever is easier to get in quickly. From that perspective you are probably right in that throwing an exception is easiest as it is quickest to deploy to stan and the interfaces. The only upside I see of going with the odeint patches is that the counter is reset between time-points automatically which is a bit cumbersome to achieve using the current design (the observer would have to reset elements of the coupled_ode_system object).

Sebastian

Bob wrote:

I think we can sneak some headers in by hand in the interfaces,
put them first on the build path, and then the header guards will block
the official ones. It's what Ben did to hack around the official Boost
headers in R's BH package. It makes everything much more brittle, of course,
to user library substitutions, paths, etc., so I want to save this as a last-ditch
effort as we had to do for the older Intel compiler.

Can we just use the exception throwing approach for now?

- Bob

Bob Carpenter

Oct 12, 2015, 4:54:03 PM10/12/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Is this in an issue somewhere? My head's spinning from
all the options on the table for ODE solvers.

- Bob

Sebastian Weber

Oct 13, 2015, 5:03:30 PM10/13/15
to stan development mailing list
Hi Bob!

My last comment in

https://github.com/stan-dev/math/issues/179

Describes what needs to be done to make the current odeint rk45 integrator robust.

Sebastian

Bob Carpenter

Oct 13, 2015, 8:21:57 PM10/13/15
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Great. We have that targeted for 2.8.0++ and assigned
to Daniel, so it's top priority.

- Bob