Upcoming Events

St. Stephen Martyr's Young Adults

Dec 15, 2010, 5:03:00 PM12/15/10
to SS...@googlegroups.com
This is Ryan Mullen temporarily filling in for Deanna Olsen, who is in India for a month celebrating Christmas Bollywood style!  There are a bunch of events coming up for SSMYA, and a couple changes.  The most important change is that our Christmas Caroling has been moved to next Monday.  Here is everything that is going on in the next few days:

Wednesday, December 15 (tonight)
       - 7:00 PM, SSM Parish Hall, Msgr. Langsfeld's talk on Vatican II Mass changes
Monsignor Langsfeld will be giving a talk titled Sacred Constitution on Liturgy of Vatican II, where he'll discuss the changes made to the Liturgy during Vatican II.  In liu of the new Mass translations which are coming, this should be very informative.  The liturgy is the area of church life where people have most of their contact with the church, so it is important to know what the liturgy is and how it has developed over time.  I plan to be there!

Thursday, December 16
      - 6-7:00 PM, St. Stephen Martyr, Holy Hour
      - 7:00 PM, SSM Parish Hall, Caroling Practice
Following the Holy Hour, those that wish to can join us for some brief caroling practice to be led by everyone's favorite crooner Matt Mumaugh and backed by myself on accordion.  This will be informal, and should be fun.  Following the practice we can get something to eat nearby.

Saturday, December 18
      - 6:30 PM, SSM Parish Hall, Annual Parish Christmas Party Extravaganza
      - After Christmas Party, GW student center, Our Lady of Lourdes YA/SSMYA joint bowling party
The annual Parish Christmas Party/potluck is on Saturday following the 5:30 Mass.  There should be lots of good food, and a chance to meet some of the other parishioners.  After the party we plan to make our way to the GW student center for bowling with Our Lady of Lourdes' young adult group, along with some other area young adult groups.  They'll start showing up around 6:30 or 7:00, and after our Christmas Party we'll join up with them.  We did this last year and it was loads of fun - I believe we stayed until closing time!

Monday, December 20
      - 7:00 PM, St. Mary's Court (short walk from St. Stephen's), Christmas Caroling
Please note that the date has changed.  We did this last year and it was loads of fun.  This is completely informal, and even if you can't sing like myself, you are still welcome.  We'll help lead caroling with the residents.  I'll be playing my accordion, and I might also bring along a glockenspiel for fun (it's basically a xylophone).  We'll either have a blast or drive out the rats!  Afterwards we can grab dinner somewhere nearby.

Hope everyone's having an very anticipatory and expectant Advent season, and after next week a merry Christmas too!

-Ryan

If anyone has questions on events (especially caroling), feel free to e-mail or call me on my cell:

--
Visit the St. Stephen Martyr's Young Adults Web Page: http://groups.google.com/group/ssmya