The future of Squeryl

David Whittaker

Sep 26, 2016, 11:22:42 AM9/26/16
to squ...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

There was a flurry of activity from Kenji Yoshida on Github over the past few days, and part of it involved this issue being opened: https://github.com/squeryl/squeryl/issues/215 (Is squeryl still alive).  That’s not typically the type of thing you’d see in a GH issue, but it’s a fair question.  I’d have to say the answer is that, yes, it’s alive, but it’s clearly not very active.  Kenji pointed out that he is depending on Squeryl for a production app, and so is my company (headed2.com).  Unfortunately, as Headed2 has grown as a business I’ve had less and less time to participate in maintaining Squeryl, and I think that Max has had a similar situation with his own work.  Given that we too are relying on Squeryl, it’s certainly not going away and I think that for the foreseeable future it will get updates as new Scala versions are released.  That just may not happen very quickly, unless someone else from the community steps up to take over the process.  I’m going to ping Peter Brant, who has been a long time committer, and see if he has any thoughts on the future of the project and how we might be able to handle it better, and I will grab Max’s attention as well.  I’m personally +1 on adding Kenji as a committer, and, Kenji and Peter, I really appreciate the two of you working to get things moving recently.  For those of you still following this list, I’d like to get your feedback as well.  If you have a suggestion on how we can better serve the community given committer time constraints, or you’d like to be more involved yourself, please chime in.

Thanks,
Dave

Peter Brant

Sep 26, 2016, 12:28:36 PM9/26/16
to Squeryl
I think we're very lucky to have somebody of Kenji's skill and reputation take an interest in Squeryl. Definitely +1 there too.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation to David. We have a lot Squeryl code at work and have a strong interest in keeping it working indefinitely, but I have limited time to spend on it too.

Besides adding Kenji as a committer/owner, having a way that any committer can do a release (with a sync to Central) might be a useful bit of future-proofing going forward too. I don't really have any strong opinions about the details (although I've found Bintray pretty pain free for this).

Pete

Kenji Yoshida

Sep 30, 2016, 11:54:53 AM9/30/16
to Squeryl
Hi all.

I have requested access to sonatype. I will release a new version in a few days if there is no objections.